Chapter Two

I walked out into the blinding sun, the unexpected call from Bella was nice, though I was sure Edward's whole family was listening in

I walked out into the blinding sun, the unexpected call from Bella was nice, though I was sure Edward's whole family was listening in. I had been in Volterra for just about three days and loved it already. I had planned on only staying here two days, but for a reason, I did not understand I could just not make myself leave. 

It could maybe be the sense of longing that I always had since birth that felt lighter now, in Volterra. I still had the little 'tug' in my heart, when I had asked a doctor about it they had no clue what to do and recommended to take an Advil if it got worse and come back.

I walked around receiving friendly waves from the citizens. "Amardad!" I quickly turned and smiled at one of my many new Italian friends, Luciano. "Luciano! How are you?" I walked towards him, giving him a hug.

"Well, well Mara. Would you umm," He blushed a bright shade of pink, running a hand through his chestnut locks. I smiled softly, "Yes?" 

"Would you like to go out with me... Tonight?" His cheeks tinged a shade darker, I nodded. "That would be lovely, thank you." Luciano looped his arm through mine and led me towards the nearest restaurant, 'La bella Italiano.'

The server led us to a booth and handed us our menus, "So what do you want to be? Are you going to university?" He asked me, I smiled as I answered, "I would really like to be a physician, and I'm planning on going to university next year."

Luciano nodded as our server approached us again and asked us for our orders, "Cosa desiderate ordinare?" I glanced at Luciano, who ordered a steak for himself and a hazelnut salad for myself.

"You're beautiful." I blushed at Luciano's praise, 

We ate mostly in silence, but we talked and at the end of the night I felt happy. Though the pain in my chest grew slightly. "Do you want me to walk you back?" I shook my head and kissed Luciano's cheek.

"No, it's okay. But it's nice of you to offer." Luciano nodded and made his way back to his apartment. I sighed and looked around fondly.

I liked it here, it was nearing dusk as I noticed a small alleyway leading to a garden hidden from sight. I pushed open the rickety metal door. And gasped at what was in front of me. There had to be at least a dozen types of flowers, but the garden was not pruned, weeds grew everywhere and everything was practically destroyed.

I tentatively walked inside and scoped out everything, the garden seemed to be attached to a passageway. Upon further observation, the door turned out to be locked. I sat down on a rickety bench and sighed, there would be a lot of work to be done. 

I walked out of the concealed garden and made my way back to my recently purchased apartment. I quickly fell into bed, shutting my eyes, and fell asleep.

The next morning I got up and put on a light red dress that bordered on pink. I threw my hair up into a ponytail. The went outside and walked into the market, street vendors milled around, setting there booths up.

I walked to a garden supply booth and bought two dozen leaf bags, I then walked back to the garden. I set to work quickly, first clearing the paths of debris and picking up garbage. By sundown I was tired, but a lot of work had been completed as I had not taken a break. I reached for my water bottle and finished it off.

I had filled a half dozen leaf bags and placed them neatly in a corner besides a pile of leaves and sticks that I had not had time to put in bags. 

I drifted off to sleep on the bench, being so exhausted... 

I woke up to someone snapping at me, "Who are you?" The voice accused, and I blinked and opened my eyes, it was morning so the garden was covered in a shadow. "Huh?" I got up, the voice belonged to a young girl who looked about thirteen.

"I'm Amardad Swan, I love your hair can I braid it?" The girl was surprised, "What are you doing here Miss. Swan?" I smiled "I found this place two nights ago, I was working to clean up this lovely garden. Is it yours?" The girl nodded slightly, "Its my..." She trailed off, "Is it okay if I work here? I won't be a bother. Only if that's okay will you..."

"Jane, my names Jane. And yes, you can stay... If you want." I smiled again, "Would you like me to braid you're hair?"

Jane paused then nodded once, sitting down besides me. I made quick work of taking out the bobby pins that held her hair in a sort of mixed bun/French twist. I brushed out her hair with my hands. 

"What's you're favorite color?" Jane was obviously confused by this question, "I like... I don't really know, Miss Swan." I smiled starting to braid her hair. "That's fine, mine has to be yellow. And you can call me Mara."

Once I finished braiding her hair Jane started to get up but I stopped her. "Wait just a moment." I got up spotting some sunflowers and picked one. I quickly went back to Jane and took the bobby pins to attach the flower to her hair. I then pulled out my phone and took a picture.

"Here," I showed her the picture and Jane smiled, "Thank you Miss. Mara." I nodded getting up, feeling dizzy from lack of food, "You're welcome fiore." Jane nodded and got up, walking to the locked door, quickly opening it then with a small wave shutting it behind her.

***

End of Chapter Question: Do you think Luciano and Amardad would be a cute couple?