Chapter Fifteen

Amardad woke up the next morning grumpy

Amardad woke up the next morning grumpy. She had an uncomfortable sleep that was plagued with nightmares and she considered herself lucky that she hadn't sleep talked. After completing her morning routine of taking a shower, brushing her teeth and taking her medication and changing into some new clothing, she went and sat in the living room to wait for her breakfast. 

She watched the time and at 7:30 the vampire delivering her breakfast arrived. "Hi, I haven't met you before. I'm Amardad." She said as she smiled up at them. The vampire looked on edge and choked out a "Lark Everet" Before hurrying out the door. Amardad raised an eyebrow and stared at the spot where Lark had disappeared before turning to the platter that Lark had left her. 

She opened the lid and smiled as she saw eggs and bacon, one of her favorite dishes. She brought the plate into the office (it was the room that was closest to a dining room) and sat down taking a small bite of the egg. It wasn't as good as the food she normally had as there was a tangy taste that you wouldn't expect to have from eggs.

***

At 8 o'clock in the morning Demetri knocked on the door before opening it. In his hands he healed Amardad's breakfast. He had been told by Caius that he and Amardad had the 'Mates' conversation yesterday and she didn't take it well, so he had brought her a breakfast consisting mostly of sweets. 

He opened the door when there wasn't a response and left it to the possibility of Amardad still being asleep. When he entered the room he was shocked when he smelt an unknown vampire scent. Demetri was good with scents. Very good, and this vampire was not part of the Volturi or part of the other vampire covens or even a nomad that he knew. He ran into the bedroom throwing open the door seeking Amardad. 

Seeing that she wasn't there he ran into the living room, seeing as she wasn't there as well he used his ears to locate her heartbeat to the office. Why would she be there? Demetri froze as he saw Amardad slumped in the chair, not two seconds later Caius barged in running as fast as he could, pushing Demetri to the side he ran to Amardad's side pulling her limp body into his arms. "No-" 

Caius shook his head looking her body over for damage, "No, please..." Caius looked up at Demetri. "What happened! Why is my mate unconscious?" Demetri took a step back, his heart would be hammering in chest if it could, and at this point that was the only thing he was sure of. When he said nothing Caius stood up, cradling Amardad bridal style in his arms. With a quickly glance and deep intake of breath he turned to Demetri, 

"Why do those eggs and... other long food items smell rancid?" Demetri picked up a piece of long food item (aka bacon) and touched it to his tongue, his face scrunched up in disgust. "It's poisoned... I didn't deliver this platter, Master. I caught the scent. Should I apprehend the suspect?" With a quick nod Caius rushes out of the room careful to not hold her too tightly against him, lest she be hurt further. 

He arrived at the garage, and was met by Aro who had a car prepared for them. "I heard the last part of your conversation with Demetri. I've already got the best doctors nearby ready to treat our dearest Amardad." Caius nodded quickly and quickly strapped Amardad into the backseat. "Master," Jane ran up to him, worry evident in her eyes. "Let me accompany you please?" She rushed out, "No, we don't have time for-" Caius was cut off by Aro, "Let her go, she's one of Amardad's dearest friends." 

Jane slipped into the back seat, shutting the door behind her. Aro pressed a button on the wall and the garage door opened, Caius's car quickly speeding out in direction of the closest medical centre. Jane quickly maneuvered herself so Amardad's head was on her lap, even though she could hear Amardad's heart she had her fingers pressed against her jugular vein checking her pulse. "We're almost there" When they arrived at the hospital Caius picked Amardad again and jogged over to where a team of doctors were waiting. 

When enough money was offered most people didn't tend to question the things they were told. The head doctor introduced himself as Dr. Raymon, and had to almost pry Amardad out of Caius's arms before placing her on the gurney, another doctor wheeling her away. "What is wrong with her!" 

Caius growled at Dr. Raymon who stared wide eyed at Caius. "I suspect poisoning. I'll have to check through her file as well to make sure that it isn't a condition that we already know she had." A kind nurse approached and gently touched Caius's arm, "May I bring you and your companion to the waiting room? Your friend-" Jane took a step forward, "His girlfriend actually." Caius raised an eyebrow but said nothing at the untruth that Jane had said. 

The nurse nodded, "Your girlfriend will be looked over by the doctors, and at the moment they all need to focus. I can alert you when you can go and see her if you wish?" Caius nodded quickly, his mind playing out dozens of different situations where somehow Amardad would die. 

One of the most creative being that the Italian Mafia somehow got upset and jumped through the window surprising the doctors and making them accidentally plunge a scalpel into Amardad's skull killing her. While that was very unlikely of ever happening to anyone, to Caius it seemed very likely and in an unvampire like gesture he tapped his foot. Even Jane was shocked. Normally Caius was very, well let's say, on edge. 

But ever since he had met Amardad he seemed to calm down. Like from 100 to 70, which considering who Caius was as a person that was a very large number. The nurse came back withing the next couple of hours and lead Caius and Jane to Amardad's room.

Caius immediately crouched down besides her, taking her small frail hand into his own. The doctor cleared his throat and Caius looked up, "What?" Jane held in a smirk. Ah, there was the snarky Caius again.

Doctor Raymon put on a placating look and took a deep breath, a breath that usually meant that what he had to say wasn't going to be very good. "Miss Swan was poisoned, as you might know, and we treated that with antibiotics. So she should be okay in that department as of now." Caius took a relieved breath, and Jane took a seat on an uncomfortable chair.

"But..." Doctor Raymon's face turned grim, "her leukemia has gotten worse, even with the medication she's currently taking it doesn't look very good." Caius sucked in a breath and shot a confused and slightly angered look at the sleeping girl.

"Leukemia?" Jane got up and took Amardad's other hand in her own.

Doctor Raymon nodded grimly, "Yes, chronic lymphonic leukemia or you might know it as CLL. Her symptoms will get worse; weight loss, nose bleeds, fevers, chills, easy bruising and bleeding." Caius immediately lessened his grip on Amardad's hand. He didn't want to casue her unnecessary pain.

"Can you treat this? Get her better." Doctor Raymon sucked in a raged breath, looking rather frighted. "CLL, sadly, isn't always curable, but she's taking medication in the form of pills. She refused any other types of treatment. Something about living life to the fullest and being happy or sad and the length of time not changing."

Caius narrowed his eyes, "And how do you know this!" Doctor Raymon gulped, Adam's apple bobbing. "It-It's written on her file sir!" Jane looked at Doctor Raymon and Caius knew exactly what was going on in her head; she wanted to make him suffer, and though Doctor Raymon didn't cause Amardad to have CLL, he also wanted to make the doctor suffer. 

Or, perhaps the doctor would like a promotion? 

A promotion to a cemetery. 

***

Authors Note: I've only done basic research on CLL, so don't treat any information as a true fact.

IMPORTANT: If you go to 'Conversations' on my profile you will find an important announcement + opportunity to have one of your characters in this story! Check it out now! 

(Open till August 30th 2021)