Chapter 17🖤

Waking up the next morning I'm a little nervous about today because I have no idea what will happen between Chase and me.

What will he expect? Was the night at his party a one-time occurrence? I have so many questions, but there aren't enough answers, which I despise.

That irritates me to no end.

I despise not knowing.

I made sure I was dressed cute, well as cute as I could for school. Which was just braiding my hair into a pony tail and adding a little bit of lipstick to my lips, nothing fancy and not much I could really do with the school uniform.

The fact that my parents were off last night means that my mother is already in the kitchen preparing pancakes and grits for breakfast. I adore the food that my mother prepares.

It was my grandmother who provided the majority of her recipes, and she was an incredible cook.

I'm talking about a fantastic cook.

Going to her house was one of my favorite things to do, not only because I got to see her, but also because her cooking was absolutely delicious.

Her gumbo was absolutely delectable. Growing up, I dreamed of becoming a chief just so I could cook as well as she did, and I worked hard to achieve that goal.

After she got too old to work her business, she was forced to sell her dine-in bar in town. My parents, who were both doctors, couldn't work there and didn't want the hassle that came with owning a business, so they pushed her to sell the establishment.

They were subjected to the silent treatment for like a week as a result of that, and they had more than earned it.

That made me so sad because I used to look forward to seeing her there after school because she always had something exciting in store for me, something new she was working on and she needed my feedback on.

When my phone rings from my book bag a few minutes after I've finished eating, I quickly remove my syrup-covered hands from the table and reach for my phone.

Chase - I'm coming to pick you up for school.

That would be nice if Kim and Sarah weren't already on their way, but we've been doing it since we all got our first cars for our sixteenth birthdays.

My car is currently in the shop, I had accidentally hit our mail box one morning, which made my parents extremely upset.

In no way, shape, or form were they happy that morning. They took away my driver's license and informed me that I would be punished from driving for a month.

A freaking month.

I'm 17 years old and have been punished from my car.

Me - That's okay, Kim and Sarah are already on their way.

I would have liked to ride to school with Chase but I'm not going to tell Kim and Sarah to turn around not when I know they are pretty much about to pull up, that will make Kim waste gas for no reason and I'm not going to just ditch my best friends.

Chase - I would like to drive you to school today, Raven.

Me - I understand Chase and I would have liked that but I didn't know this was your plan and Kim is already heading this way to get me.

Chase - I thought you liked me?

What
The
Hell

Of course I do, is this dude deaf to the school gossip over the years, everyone knows I have a thing for Chase, apparently I have not hidden it well.

Me - I do like you but I'm not going to ditch my friends.

Chase - Fine. See you at school. I just thought I was important to you.

Again.

What
The
Hell.

Me - Chase you are important to me but they are my best friends and we always drive to school together. If I had known you wanted to pick me up I could have let them know but as I said they are already on their way.

Chase - okay baby. Tomorrow I pick you up though. Yeah?

Smiling at my phone I hear Kim's car honking from my front yard, telling my momma that the food was yummy and giving her and my father who'd been drinking his coffee each a hug, I head out the door.

Me - Yes. I would like that so much Chase.

Chase - See you at school baby. 😘

With a big pep in my step I skip to Kim's car, when I make it to the door they both ask the question at the same time.

"Chase?"

"Definitely. He wanted to pick me up this morning, but I didn't want to ditch yall"

"Girl we wouldn't have minded. Should have said yes" Kim says.

"He will bring me tomorrow" shrugging at them. It's not a big deal. He will bring me to school tomorrow and today I'll just ride with my best friends plus I don't think I would want to ride with Chase this morning because I wouldn't know how to act.