A Common Enemy

" My lady... you are cursed," Dracal said with wide eyes and a shocked voice. " I can smell it on you, it's faint, but it's there." He growled out.

A bolt of betrayal shot through my heart. I... I was cursed... So all of this time... I believed that I really had fallen for Master Ambrose. But in reality, it was just a curse he placed on me...why?...

I could feel all of my hope, all of the will that kept my spirit up be crushed like a fly underneath someone's boot. A big, metal boot to be exact. I had been so good to him... why would he do this to me?

Had everyone else been right this entire time? Was Master Ambrose too evil and cruel to change? Was he really as big a threat as everyone claimed he was.

If he cursed me though then why would he go through so much effort to make himself a better man for me? Why would he even try to better himself if I would just love him anyway since I was under a spell? I shoot my head as denial filled my veins.

" No... I don't believe it! I won't believe that he would do this to me!" I cried in outrage as tears started streaming down my face. I raised my hands and tried to brush away the tears with my sleeves, but I was crying so hard that nothing I did stopped the flow that was coming.

Dracal leaned in once more. Smelling me deeply and taking deep breaths. I could feel his nostrils over my head and through my hair, reminding me of a horse.

" Wait, my lady... You are cursed, but this is a very odd curse. There are no effects good or bad whatsoever to it. It is simply a blank spell put on your being... and it was not cast by Ambrose... nor Leodai..." He mused suspiciously as he tapped his talons against his scales in thought. " It has not been on you for very long... otherwise I would have smelled it on you at the castle." He continued.

It did pop up in my mind that he could possibly just be saying that so that I would not be mad at Master Ambrose... but if that was the case why would he not just pin the blame on Leodai. But he had claimed that he was innocent of the crime too. Something and someone else's work was afoot here.

A trapdoor leading to the roof where we were slammed open and Asher skillfully tumbled out of it. Immediately took stance and in the blink of an eye throwing a spear at Dracal. This one, unlike the first time Asher and Dracal faced each other, did not pierce the demon in the neck. Instead, the creature caught it.

Dracal smirked as he looked down the shaft and at the gleaming metal tip. He touched it with the pad of his talon and recoiled as it stung him.

" Shadow metal. You are a good listener who did his homework assignment... Good boy." Dracal said to Asher in a mocking voice. Asher unsheathed his sword and charged at Dracal with a battle cry.

This was ridiculous and needed to stop right now! Before Asher could charge into Dracal I stepped in the way, both to Asher's and Dracal's surprise.

" My lady!?" Asher cried dumbfounded as he tried to dig the heels of his boots into the ground to keep himself from slamming into me. Only narrowly avoiding it as Dracal reached out his Talons to make sure I was ok. " My lady I could have seriously harmed you!" He cried.

" Are you alright?" Both of them said at the same time, glaring at each other over my head, even though Dracal towered over both of us.

" Don't you see? You two are fighting for the same exact thing! You think you are different but you are the same! You are not each other's enemy here. There's a bigger enemy afoot!" I cried, trying to get them to see reason.

" I will never, EVER! associate myself with black X rats!! You took everything from me!!" Dracal roared. His hot breath fanning over me and to Asher who sneered in disgust.