A Warm Brew of Tea

I couldn't believe it. I was standing here, the kingdom I had only read about a few days ago. A kingdom that was supposedly destroyed with all of its people slaughtered and enslaved. A place that had once been a shining paradise turned into a desolate wasteland.

My eyes scanned over all the trees. So many that I could identify, and others I had only ever heard of. Just from this one spot, I could see Oaks, Elms, Birches, Pines, Spruces, Willows, Junipers, and many more.

There was an almost unearthly glow to these trees. Some of their trunks almost seemed to be a mix between brown and purple. With their leaves being a dull turquoise.

Many of the birches were in all different stages of blooming. Most had the green leaves, but a good amount was sprouting vibrant golden and orange ones. As if it was the falling season only to them.

They all had their own unique sap scents, but pine and spruce overpowered most of it in the air. I looked back up and found myself staring up into an actual starry sky.

It was odd, bizarre, and magical. It furthered my observation from before too that the trees almost seemed to be glowing. For the sky above was dark, but down here it looked like it could be litten up by early morning sun. It was as if I was standing in a whole new magical realm.

I turned around to face Master Ambrose and was shocked to find that he had changed as well. He was no longer in his full Armor. He was now wearing a large brown tunic that was hugging the bulk of his body tightly. Some of his chest hairs were poking out from the slit in the top middle of the chest.

The belt around his waist was securely held with a silver buckle. He was wearing similarly colored doe hide pants as well, but they came up short on him and the ends constricted around his mid calves. He was not wearing any boots or shoes of any kind either.

Looking down at myself I realized that I too had changed. Instead of my white and dark purple dress, I was now in a long-sleeved, very plain and simple brown dress. Much like the kind I used to wear back home, but with much fewer holes. It was much more comfortable than the ones I used to wear too, it was like I had slipped on a cloud and was wearing it. I no longer had any shoes on as well.

I brought my gaze back up to my Master, my movements stilling when I saw his expression. He was smiling down at me. His emotions a total wave of happiness, relief, and longing all at once.

It must be really hard for him, being back here again after so long. Even if it was all grown back again, its beauty reigning supreme, it still held bad memories for the man.

My eyes drifted down from his smiling face to his hand that was now outstretched towards me. He was not taking my hand this time, he was asking me for it.

I stared at it for a moment before smiling and placing my own down on his. The large fingers wrapped around my petite hand, and he pulled me close so that we were side by side.

With me close again, he started leading me into the forest. The grass was soft like silk underneath my feet, almost giving me the sensation of walking atop water instead of grass.

Above us, birds unlike any I had ever seen before flew over our heads, and in front of us, deer with intricate and mystical antlers loped through the brush.

We came across the river and Master Ambrose shifted our positions. He himself walked through the water as I balanced myself atop some stones. He held my hands in his above my head, keeping me balanced as made our way across the water.

I could not help the giggle that I laughed out, looking down and seeing the silver fish from before darting around my Masters's feet. Every few seconds the flowing water would splash up onto my own feet. It was lukewarm and perfect, not anything like the frigid ice-cold waters from home.