Kellin Kodiak

"The killers in the Solaris murders have been identified and neutralized," the mayor conveys. "Ezio King and Maren Desario have been shot and stabbed by our local survivors: Kellin Kodiak, Enzo King, Reyna Copulas, and...I'm sorry, does this say DeskGuy?" 

 Grayson, Reyna, and I are on the stage the mayor is speaking on. Enzo isn't here. Last I heard, he skipped town right after the party. "Kellin," Grayson says, elbowing me. "You altered the mayor's notecards?" 

Stifling the laugh, I nod. "Sorry, but he just left them on the podium. I couldn't pass that opportunity up."

"I'll get you back," Grayson assures. "You just wait."

I snort and roll my eyes. "I won't hold my breath."

I look over to see Reyna, who is solemn. Dark bags are under her eyes and her knee bounces up and down. She's nervous and damaged and alone. She doesn't want my help, but I'll be here when she's ready to accept the fact that she needs some. 

"Oh, his name is Grayson Tate," the mayor corrects. "Sorry. Last night, we pinned the murderers for the following deaths: Destiny Prior, Victoria Saylor, Frederick Brovinski, Allister Casada, Adelina Saylor, Nancy Copulas, Hanzo Duvall, Aero King, AdrianoSantiago, Robert Copulas, Oscar Alvarez, Alessa King, and Makai Keanu. Fourteen people were slain in cold blood. But now, we can all rest easy, in our homes, for the killers are dead. Now, a moment of silence for the deceased and their families, please."

Everyone bows their heads or closes their eyes. But Reyna buries her face in her hands and shakes her head. "We don't need to be reminded," she whispers.

I put my hand on her shoulder as a camera captures the moment. I look to the crowd but I don't see the photographer. "This isn't for us," I tell her. "It's for them."

Reluctantly, Reyna nods. "You're right...as always."

"Thank you for attending the meeting," the mayor gratifies. "Have a good day, and count your blessings."

"You can come over to my house," I tell Grayson, who narrows his eyes at me. He's still upset for altering the mayor's note cards. "I have ice cream."

Groaning, he rolls his hazel eyes and grabs my hand. "Fine. I'll meet you there in twenty minutes."

"Sounds good," I respond, kissing him on the cheek and getting in my car.

The car ride home was quiet and lonely, but I knew it wouldn't be that way at all when I got home. Like this nightmare, the ride through the path life has given us was lonely and quiet – it was dark. But also like this nightmare, there's a place I'll be at where people I love are waiting for me. As long as I take the right turns and stay safe, I'll arrive at my destination in one piece. 

Pulling into my driveway, I'm struck with a thought. Ezio King was the one running  SolarisPsychos.com. I wonder if the police have taken the site down yet.

My fingers dance across the screen of my smartphone until the website loads. All of the pictures and documents and character analysis charts have been taken down. It's all blank. Smiling, I sink in my chair a bit, relieved. I was worried something was going to pop up like "THIS ISN'T THE END" but that isn't the case at all. 

 I go to exit out of the tab when a message pops up on the screen. 

UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE WAIT.

Gulping, I watch as a loading sign appears. My fingers start to drum on the wheel, nervous. Suddenly, a few photos are uploaded under the title "RIP: Revenge In Progress." 

 And there, snatching the bulk of the page, is my hand on Reyna at the meeting. The flash from the crowd was of the guy running this page...and the message "revenge in progress" definitely doesn't sit well with me. 

 Is this not over after all? Do I have to endure a bonus round? 

 Feeling my heart rate increase, I try to take deep breaths. Grayson's car pulls in behind me and he opens my door. "I'm only doing this because I want ice cream," he states. 

Locking my phone, I smile. Whatever this is, and it could be a prank for all I know, it can wait. Right now, I have a hungry boyfriend and parents waiting for me at home. Whatever asshole is trying to pull my chain won't get the satisfaction of panic. 

"Yeah, yeah. That's what they all say," I tease, ruffling his hair. "After you," I say at the front door, opening it for him. Grayson walks in and says hello to my parents as I walk inside. I can't help but feel like I'm being watched. Pausing in the doorway, I gaze out past the street and through the window of neighbouring houses, only to come up short.

But you know what? If there is a creep watching me, let them watch. They can see how happy I am now that the killing spree is over. 

Closing the door behind me, I try to smile in my bright house full of bright people.

But the message on the site just bothers me...

Revenge in Progress.......