Reyna Copulas

Straight after the announcement, I sat up and bolted for the door. On the way out, I bump into Enzo who rushes in. "What's the rush? Couldn't wait to see me?" he asks, still charming in the chaos. He probably thrives in these situations. 

 "My mom said she was here and Hanzo said he was here because I called him, but I never did. They're probably in the lobby." 

I move around him, but Enzo steps in my way again. "If someone is going to die every hour, that means there's a killer in here, Reyna. You're not going by yourself. Actually, you're not going at all." 

 "Says who?" I challenge, worry consuming me bit by bit. 

 Enzo reaches behind him and pulls out a pistol. "Says the guy with a gun. And last I checked, you didn't have your crowbar."

 "Are you threatening me?" I scrutinize. 

"Not at all, sweetheart," he grouches. "But don't you think it's a little sketchy that we're all here when Type just happens to lock us down? That phone call you never made could've been done by Type. He knows something about hacking." 

 "Someone says hacking?" Makai asks, behind us. "I know a thing or two. There's a computer area in the café here. Get me there and I can see what I can do. Maybe I can get the lines up."

 "Reyna," he whispers so Makai can't hear. "This is the smart choice. Stay here with  safety," he holds up the gun, "and your brother."

 "Enzo, my mom is down there," I stress."I can't just leave her down there."

 "I-" Enzo's face gets angry and frustrated as he runs a hand through his dark hair. He huffs and glowers at me. "Fine. You stay up here with everyone else." 

 "Wait, what are you doing?"

 Enzo thrusts the gun into my hand. "I'll check up on your mom, Rey. Get Makai to the café."

"What if there's a killer down there?"

He shrugs in the way that he does – he knows he's "all that" and he glorifies it. "I've got a knife. Don't worry."

Nervously, I laugh. "We're trapped here in a blackout and you're telling me not to worry?"

"Everything will be fine," he promises.

"How do you know?" I ask, searching for any kind of solid relief in this situation.

"Because I..." Enzo shrugs, but this time unsurely; hesitantly. "I just do."

Without another word, he darts out and heads for the stairs. "Okay, then," I sigh to myself. Now, I turn my attention to Kai. "Can you walk?"

"Do I have to?" he grudgingly questions, standing up. "You know I'm lazy, Rey..."

"Alright, I'll take that as a yes, you bum."

Aero charges in the room, blood covering his arms. For a second, I think he's bleeding and injured, or that he's the next target. "Where's my brother?" he hurriedly asks.

"He just left to go downstairs. What's wrong?"

"There's a kid a couple of rooms down. A wound opened and all the nurses are busy helping the more critical patients. Can you help?" he asks.

"Makai, you got it?" I check with him, not wanting to leave him alone.

"Yeah I'm all good, sis," he assures.

I stop dead in my tracks. Does he know? "What?"

"I'm good, Rey. Go ahead and go with Aero. I'll meet you in the café."