Reyna Copulas

Saturday – late afternoon – around 5 o'clock. I woke up and for a little while, there was a sheet of bliss over my body. I don't remember what happened at midnight or which one of my friends is dead or that Enzo is a psychopath or that I killed Freddie. 

I only realized everything when I saw Freddie's hallucination body was on the floor next to my bed. Then I remembered Allister was dead and that I was a murderer. I realized the other half of the things I wish I never lived through when I felt vague confusion. Why am I confused? I roll over and feel the warmth of where I didn't sleep, but Enzo did. Confusion: why is he gone? Where'd he go?

 The first thing is first: check my phone. Before, I would just scroll through Instagram and find funny memes to wake me up. Now, I'm checking for texts from Type or messages saying that someone died. Our phone isn't just a means of entertainment now, it's a way of communicating life or death.

I have a message from Hanzo saying he's in the hospital with Della and Aero. Saying that they're okay and doing fine.

 Makai left a voicemail giving me his thanks for saving him. He wants to meet up and discuss what he went through when he's out of the hospital. He says there's a deputy who is supposed to watch him for today and tomorrow and Makai doesn't know if he trusts them or not. 

Della tells me to call her ASAP after I "slay my demons."

Aero says we need to talk.

Nothing from Enzo.

There will never be anything from Allister.

Except, there is.

Allister: Rise and shine! We have a busy day ahead of ourselves. 

 For a moment I just stare at the phone, wondering if there was any possibility that she could have resurrected. But the realistic part of me knows that something else is happening. I sit up and tie my hair back. I slip into a tank top and jean shorts. "DeadAllister text later," I sigh to myself in the mirror. "Parents now. No more hiding. No more secrets." 

 I stop by Enzo's door. Knock. Peek in when no one answers. There's a sticky note on the bed.

Reyna, you nosey bastard. Get out of my room. I'll be home soon. 

From, your neighbourhood psychopath.

I snort and stuff the note in my pocket, the grin erasing from my face when I remember the task at hand. There's the clinking of dishes and cups – Mom and Dad are eating dinner. I sigh and prep myself. 

"Good morning, sweetheart," my mom cheers, placing a dish at the foot of the table for me. "I was just about to wake you up. Your um...friend, left and said he had to go to work. How old is he again?" 

I sit and stuff my face, eating out of nervousness rather than actual hunger. "Twenty-two. Maybe twenty-three."

"Is it really wise for you to be involved in a boy – a man – that age?"

My father judges me with the hard grey eyes he gave to me. My mother studies me with intricacy. Okay, time to drop the bomb.

I take a sip of water, watching them and clearing my throat. Setting the glass down, I wipe my mouth with a napkin before neatly placing it back on the table. "Is it really wise to hide the fact that your daughter has been hanging around her brother, be unknown to her?"

My father's focus from me flicks to my mom with anger. Furiously, Mom blushes before almost dropping all of the dishes she was collecting. "Reyna, what are you talking about?"