Reyna Copulas

"Are you alive?" I hurriedly ask, realizing that was stupid. If he's dead, he isn't going to respond. God, I feel so stupid sometimes.

"I think so..." The hell? That doesn't sound like Makai at all... "Some guys stole my car and took my money."

A part of me is angry that this isn't Makai Keanu, but I realize that's terrible. I need to help this person and not be bitter about it. I can't blame him for Makai's disappearance. 

"Are any of your bones broken, do you know?" The man's white shirt is stained in blood and his clothes have been ripped to shreds.

He shakes his head. "No, I don't think so." I realize that his hair is black, while Makai'sis dark brown and shorter. Also, his legs are a lot longer than Makai's, and he's a lot taller. "I don't know if I can stand or not." Slowly, he tries to get up and I gauge his age. He's in his lower 20's...maybe 22 or 23.

"How long ago did this happen?" I inquire, something about all of this feeling off. The automated voice did this to the man, so of course, it's off. Everything with the disappears and murders are off. 

"Less than an hour, I think..."

Finally, he stands up, and in the headlights, his bronze skin is almost totally covered in bruises and blood. "Oh, my God," I utter, almost unable to look at all the mutilation. "You need to go to a hospital." 

"No, I'm okay...really." 

I shake my head. "You need to look at yourself. It's a miracle you haven't bled to death." In the headlights, the man's eyes almost glow a yellowy hue. "Come on, I'll drive you." 

The man laughs before cringing and holding a gash in his side. Charmingly, he smiles, teeth overwhelmingly white in the darkness. "Doesn't a pretty girl as you have somewhere to be besides talking to a guy like me to the hospital?"

I brush those annoying strands of hair back that seem to work for me in this case. I remember Della and her mom's death. But I can't go there – the kidnapper directly told me not to. "No," I say with a tiny grin. "Not particularly." 

The stranger nods. "Then I won't feel as bad taking your time."

 "The only thing you should feel bad about is the state you're in." I wave a hand up and down his lithe physique. 

 "Can you smile for a sec?"

 "Ummm..." I laugh at the question, which makes me smile.

 The man thoughtfully smiles and shakes his head. "I don't feel bad at all."

 I scoff. "Get in the car, Romeo." 

He does as told. The action of him ducking his head and sliding into my seat seems familiar as if I've seen him do it before. It's a déjà vu moment and, like all déjà vu moments, I know I won't be able to place the familiarity until it's too late. 

"The blood has dried up beside this," the man tells me, showing me the deepest gash in his side.

 "All of that for a car and some money?" I ask, plugging in directions to the nearest hospital.

Evenly, he looks at me with amber eyes. "You won't believe the things people do to get what they want." An uncalled for chill run down my spine. 

"I've never beaten someone to a pulp for a blueberry muffin..." 

"Hanzo, Della, Allister, Reyna." I'm startled at how the man knows the names of my friends until I see him reading the coffee cups. "You were going somewhere," he sorrowfully says. "I'm sorry."