Enzo King

By the time we got to the carnival, it was around 6:00 and I had about 100threats from my employer who I nicknamed Type. This is because he only slaughters and takes blood from O- and AB-. His texts included torture threats to me, which I disregard; threats about Reyna, which I disregard; threats against my brother, which bothered me a little bit. I really don't like Aero. Actually, I kind of hate him. But we're still related and Dad and I are all he has. His mom died a few years back and he doesn't like my mom. He hardly tolerates Dad. He can't stand me. But he's still blood. I could try to block Type's number, but he or she gets through any firewalls that any the device puts up, so I'd be wasting my time. 

You: I've got plans, trust me. I hurt Makai if I hurt Reyna

Type: I asked you to torture her in front of the boy.

 You: And I said no because this causes more pain. Trust me.

 Type: With every inch, your hand slides down her back, I trust you less and less.

Of course, Type is watching me – I've stored away my assigned project at the SpringCarnival and strayed from his plans. It's not my fault that I'm the visionary who understands the things that hurt people the most. If only there was a way to make someone psychopathic. I look around for a camera, knowing that that's how he sees everything at once – hacking technology. 

Finally, I spot one attached to the corner of a tent. Smirking at it, I drop my hand to the small of Reyna's back. I wink at it. 

Type: You've just buried a grave. But not your own

You: I'm terrified

Reyna and I pass a couple of booths – the classics. Kissing booth, guessing booth, the old "I can guess your weight" booth. Strings of lights glide over our heads, giving the carnival an energetic atmosphere. I don't really know what to say to Reyna besides cheesy pickup lines and things relating to "killing Freddie was justified." As a consequence of that fault, we walk in silence until we see Aero and Allister – but if anyone asks, it's Aero and his date. I'm not supposed to know Hanzo, Della, Allister, Maren, or any of these kids. 

I have to say, the stupefied look on Aero's face makes me swell with pride. I knew he kind of had a thing for Reyna – I'm not stupid – and it was a double win when Makaireally cared for her. I was tearing apart two birds with one girl. "Hey, little brother," I greet.

 I look down at Reyna who looks unsure of the whole situation. "Hey, Allister," she says. To Aero, she gives a nod. Oh, did she like Aero, too?

This just gets better and better. "Hi, Enzo," Aero grudgingly returns my greeting. To Reyna, he gives her the same icy nod she gave him. 

Allister smiles, but I see the fear behind it. Geez, did Aero tell everyone at the school that I wasn't half-brother of the year? I can't go anywhere without getting a vigil from some people I've never met. 

"Where to first, baby brother?" I ask him, putting on my best "I've never sinned in my whole life" face to put everyone at ease because I know that by the end of today, someone is bound to die. It was supposed to be Makai because I refused to torture Reyna in front of him. But considering that I've decided to spare him, who knows who it'll be? The type could target me for all I know.

After a dark look from Aero, he speaks. "Anyone hungry?" 

 "Not particularly," Reyna admits. 

 "I'm starving," Allister says at the same time. 

 Mentally, I roll my eyes. If this is how the whole night is going to go, I might as well just drown myself at the bottom of Destiny's lake. "Let's go grab a quick bite, then," I grumble with an eye roll.