Reyna Copulas

My house has been taped off for police and detective inspection. I found that out when Enzo and I came home around one in the morning.

Police cars crowd my driveway and instructions are called out back and forth between officers. We walk between the cars and to the front door when we're stopped.

"Hey, you can't be over here," an officer claims, standing in front of us. His hair is golden and shines in the police lights. His hazel eyes soften when they land on me. "I'm sorry, but you can't see Reyna unless she comes out here. We think she's still inside and has been ignoring our demands for her to come out."

"She is out here," I snap. Then I offer my hand. "Reyna Copulas, grand to meet you."

 Doubtfully, the officer looks at me. I reach into my pocket and pull out my license to prove I am who I say I am. "You don't look like a high schooler," he acknowledges. "Well, I am. So can I go inside?"

"Um, I'm not allowed to let anyone in." The officer looks around. "But if you have a window to your room, I can escort you around the back."

"Sounds good," I approve.

I begin to move around to the back with Enzo in my wake when the officer stops him.

"Sorry, Reyna only."

Enzo glares at him, his golden eyes seeming red with fury. "You might want to rethink that, kid."

I grab Enzo's arm so he looks at me. "Enzo, it's fine."

Unsurely, he looks at me.

"I'll be okay. Promise."

Enzo conveys to the officer that he's watching him by pointing two fingers from his eyes and two to the other. "Riiiiiight," the officer dismisses. "Now hurry before they notice I'm gone. This way." 

We walk around the corner, the world dimmer without the police lights bouncing along the walls. "So...who's the big scary guy? An overprotective brother?" 

"Actually, my brother and I aren't that close right now. And the big scary guy?"

"Yeah?" the officer inquires, stepping around some bushes.

"He's my psychopathic fiancé."

The officer laughs and shakes his head. "I didn't know you still had a sense of humour."

"I mean I do, but I'm serious."

The officer stops. "You mean to tell me you're in high school..."

"Yep."

"And you're engaged..."

"Uh-huh."

"To a psychopath?"

"You catch on quick," I dully mumble. "My window is close."

We continue along the back wall of my house and I push my window open. I climb inside and the officer attempts to follow my lead. However, he's clumsy and the opposite of nimble. His foot catches on the ledge and he falls on the ground face first with a grunt.

"I'm usually the guy at the desk," he explains. "This is all new to me."

"No kidding," I joke, helping him up.

"I'm Grayson, by the way," he introduces.

"Reyna; Teen Hurricane."

Rapidly, I gather my things. I shove clothes in a duffel bag, along with my phone charger. I stop to look around for something else to pack when I'm hit with a realization. There's really nothing to my name until recently. I was never in school clubs or sports. My grades were very high but not scholarship worthy. I'm not a social media hit, either. Makai was into sports, Hanzo was into the clubs, Allister was the scholarship queen, and Della was the social media phenomenon. I used to be the glue. But now I'm just about all that's left. I am the rock that is yet to erode. 

Thinking of my friends reminds me of a photo album Allister had put together for me. She was going on a family vacation for the whole of summer. She said that just because she can't make memories with us, doesn't mean we can't cherish the ones we already have. 

I snort. If only she could see how very right she was.

"Hey, I think they're coming," Grayson alerts. "Come on!" He grabs my arm and both we dash into the closet, me shutting the doors behind us. The doors are like blinds, where there are bars that distort vision. There's heavy breathing in the room that sounds like thunder. "Reyna, relax it's all under control." 

"Um, Grayson? You're the one that's breathing heavily," I point out, wondering where the hell this kid even came from.

"Oh, right...sorry." 

 The door opens and officers sweep inside. "Why would Reyna be in here?" one of the masks.

To collect her things, maybe," another officer responds. "The sheriff said not to worry about it, but I'm doing anything I can to get away from that other guy..."

"The tall one with the weird eyes?"

"Yeah...he's pretty sketchy."

"You're telling me. But there's no one in here, so let's keep checking around." 

 The door opens and closes, leaving Grayson and me in here. I look to say something to him when I notice his entire face has gone entirely purple. "Oh, my God. Are you okay?" 

 Suddenly, he lets out the air before taking a deep breath. "My breathing was too loud." 

 "So you just...stopped breathing?" I ridiculously inquire, perking an eyebrow up. "What kind of an officer are you?"

"I told you," he assured, waving me off and opening the closet door. "I'm the desk guy."

"Well, I definitely believe you," I promise, picking up my duffel. "Let's go."

I open my window as someone starts to step through. Gasping, I back up as Enzo comes in. "Sheriff is looking for you."

"He knows I'm here?" I question.

"No, you," Enzo points to Grayson. "They want to give you an upgrade. They want you to follow us around for a while and play detective."

Confused, Grayson scratches the back of his neck. "Why would they tell you that?"

"I'm a deputy in a different department," he explains. "Now hurry up before they find us in here."

The door creaks open and the seafoam eyed dad of Maren enters. "Before who finds you?"

"Sir," Grayson addresses. "I-I, um...let me explain..."

"Grayson," Mr Desario cuts off. "It's fine. Reyna is a good friend of ours. And Enzo is one of our best deputies. I'll let this one slide. But Enzo was right: I want you to play detective, so to speak."

Enzo grunts. "What? I'm not good enough now?"

"Your work has become compromised by your emotions, in my opinion," Desario says with a nod my way. "Extra backup is always welcome, too."

"Right," Enzo says, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms.

"Reyna," the sheriff says to me. "Try to lay low for a while. Don't do anything too exciting or crazy until the killer is found. Got it?"

Curtly, I nod. "Got it."

"Your house is still off-limits, unfortunately. Do you have anywhere to stay?"

"Yes," Enzo answers for me. "She does."

"Excellent. You're all dismissed," Sheriff Desario finishes