Oscar Alvarez

Maren and I got to the party before the rest of the group did. I couldn't help but notice Mare's fidgeting and uneasiness. I think we're all fidgety and uneasy tonight. "We'll be fine," I assure, parking and putting a hand on her knee. "I promise."

"That's what the hero says before getting stabbed," she argues. "It's just...this is so familiar. This all started when Reyna and I went to Destiny's party. I remember it so clearly. We were eating chips and drinking beers and she was scorning the make-outcouples. That's the night she met Aero, too."

I snort and shake my head. "Little did she know was that she'd fall in love with his brother. That's the ultimate swerve."

"It wasn't like that," Maren protests. "He liked Allister anyways. But I guess it doesn't matter now...they're both dead. Almost all of them are dead..."

The house looks like it's almost shaking – the rapid bass music is so loud I feel the vibrations in my body through the car. Lights of multiple colours flash and bounce around, and through the windows, I see people dancing and drinking and having a good time. 

"But we aren't," I point out. "And that's something."

"A miracle," she utters, chewing on her thumbnail and looking ominously at the house.
"I'm terrified."

"If you weren't, I'd be worried about your mental health."

"What even is mental health anymore?" she hopelessly questions, slouching in her seat and looking away from Adriano's party.

"The ability to even be able to be concerned with health," I educate. "Alive."

"Hopefully we'll stay that way."

"We better," I state, looking from the array of lights in the house to Maren in my car.

"There's still so much we haven't done, like go to Disney or skydive or something."

"I never knew you were an adrenaline junkie," Maren says, eager to talk about anything but the matter at hand.

"Yep. I live for the thrill," I confirm, smiling.

"Well, you'll love tonight, then." Eerily, she glances at a couple of teens smoking through the window. "Because a thrill is definitely what we'll be getting."