Reyna Copulas

"I still strongly advise against this, Reyna," Grayson continues to nag. All day I've been hearing about how irresponsible this is, and how I should listen to Maren's dad. At first, I thought it was because he just wanted to do his job the best he can, but now I think I'm getting the vibe that he's just straight-up scared to go. For me, I'm eager and vaguely fearful. But I've also been through more trauma than poor Desk Guy has. 

"I still strongly advise you to take that chill pill I mentioned earlier," I tease, fixing my hair in the mirror at Kellin's house. I'm about to leave to go to the party now...it's pretty weird walking voluntarily into a trap. Like, is it even a trap at this point?

 "Grayson, just breathe. I've been through all this crap and I want it to end. This party is the finale. I have to be there." 

 Grayson takes off his baseball cap and runs a hand through his wheat-coloured hair that sticks up all over the place. "Look, I don't want to die. I'm nineteen, I just got out of high school. Just let me live; don't make me go to that party."

"No one's making you do anything," Kellin pitches in from the bathroom, voice muffled by the door. "You always have a choice."

"Remember the threat at the high school?" I ask.

"How could I forget?" Kellin jokes.

"Yeah, true...but I tried to leave and this nurse sedated me. She chose her job over the lives of teenagers."

Grayson furrows his caramel brows and sits on the bed, calming down now that I've switched the subject. "Then how did you get to the school? You had to be put to rest."

 "Because of Kellin's right. We always have a choice. I had the choice to let it take over me. But I didn't choose it. I chose to get up, crawl to the bathroom, tear my stitches, and make myself vomit."

 Grayson's face contorts with disgust. "Reyna, that's disgusting." 

 "You don't see much as the Desk Guy, do you?" I inquire, sitting across from him in one of Kellin's beanbags. 

 Grayson's hazel eyes go glassy as if imagining something. Disgusted with his vision, he swallows and shakes his head. "Nope." 

"Hopefully tonight goes like your everyday life does," I sigh.

Kellin flings the bathroom door open. Tentatively, she steps out. "So...how do I look?"

If Grayson's pupils could shape themselves as hearts, they would've. His jaw drops to the floor, and if he was a dog he'd be drooling. The kid is totally star-struck and I don't even think Kellin realizes it. "You look great," he manages. But then he remembers whyKellin dressed up in the first place. Frowning, he falls on his back on her bed. "Adriano will be stunned."

Kellin dismisses Grayson's behaviour as typical and looks to me. "You look awesome," I  approve. "The killers will even stop in their tracks when they see you." 

 She wiggles her fingers in the air and widens her electric blue eyes. "If they aren't already watching."

Jackknifing up, Grayson stands so abruptly his arms wave wildly and knock over a picture. Luckily, Kellin's room is carpet and it doesn't break. "No, no, no. You stop that carp. The killers won't be watching us because we're not going." 

 "I've lost the will to tell you we are," I give up, putting the fallen picture back in place. With a pang of sorrow, I see it's an old picture of Kellin and Freddie. 

 I hold it and feel infinitely guilty. Kellin notices my discomfort. "Oh, you can just throwthat away. What's gone is gone, right?" 

"Huh? Oh, yeah...are you sure?"

Surely, Kellin nods. "Totally. Throw that sucker out."

Though it feels wrong, I remove the photograph and toss it. Neither Kellin nor I mention what happened to Fred because Grayson doesn't know. And though he is only the Desk Guy, he's still with the police. Finding out I killed Frederick could cause him to turn me in...like I need to add that to my list of worries.

 "I'm ready to go when you are," I notify.

"Okay, let me just grab this..." Kellin snatches a pocketknife. "Grayson has a hidden gun. What are you bringing?"

"If things get bad...well, you'll see," I tell her. Mentioning "the crowbar" doesn't seem right after I tossed Freddie in the trashcan...again.

Okay, that joke was messed up but it was funny.

Admit it, you laughed.

"I'm going to regret this later," Grayson mumbles, pushing up the sleeves on his grey and blue baseball tee.

"If you live long enough for 'later,'" Kellin teases him.

"Stop!" Grayson shouts while laughing.

"He hates us," I joke.

"What gives you that impression?"

We exchange a glance before Kellin speaks again. "Yeah, you're right."