Chapter 57

"No, look. I promise it's fine. It's been a few more weeks. He's more calm. I'm more calm. I'm not saying I would want to have dinner sitting right beside him or anything, but we have the same friend group. It will eventually have to work itself out, right? You're still such a big part of my life."

"I know, but—"

"Christian," I cut him off through the phone. "When I promised you that I would let falling for your brother ruin our friendship, I meant it."

"So, you're okay?" He asks quietly.

"I'm slowly but surely getting there."

"And Declan's okay, too?"

"Well, you would know better than I would, but I think he's going to come out of this even better than I am."

Even after how many times I yelled in my bedroom about how much I hate him, I still want the best for him. I know he has the opportunity to fly even higher than I could ever imagine. I'd have to spend my entire life chasing just to catch a glimpse of him among the stars.

"So, you're coming to dinner with us tonight."

"Umm, that would be a negative. I said we have the same friend group, and I would eventually get over it. I did not say I was ready to have a double date with your girlfriend and your mean ass brother."

"That's fair." He laughs. "I'll have to let him know you said that."

"Hey, I said it was fine, not happy to see his smirking face. There's a big difference."

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I was just—"

There's a huge screech followed by something that resembles a firework, leaving my left ear ringing so loudly I have to move the phone.

"Chris?" I ask slowly, praying to hear his voice through the speaker. "Chris? Christian?"

The panic ensues. That had to have been a car accident. Is he okay? Where is he? Who's going to call 911? He needs someone to help him.

"Christian James Wilder." I yell his name over again. "I swear, if you don't make it through this and talk to me right now, I'm going to bring you back to life just to kill you again. I need you to answer me, and tell me where you are."

He croaks my name so softly I can barely hear it.

"I need you to stay with me, Chris. Is anyone with you? Can you tell me where you are? I'm going to get you help."

"Hailey's."

"You just left Hailey's?" I ask, and he grumbles.

"Before or after the light in front of her favorite little ice cream shop?"

He doesn't answer. Only a weird scraping sound.

"After? I need a yes or a no, Christian."

"Yes," he huffs. "I nodded my head already. I'm trying to get out, and you keep distracting me."

"I can't see you nodding though the phone. Just stay where you are, and don't hang up. Further down, like near the interstate exit?"

"Yes." he mumbles.

I call the police

One moment he's casually laughing with the whirring sound of his tires against the concrete, the next I can barely hear his weak voice through the silence.

I want to ask him exactly what happened, quiet the questions flying around in my brain like seagulls over the ocean. The thing is, there was before when he was laughing over my stupid breakup with his brother, and then there was after.