Chapter 34

"Before I met you, I don't think I knew what it meant to be in love. You pulled me out of my quiet comfort zone and into your wildly adventurous life. I promise to always be your protector and confidante, standing beside you in everything you face because now we face it together. I promise to be there when you need help, support you when there's no one left, and encourage you when all hope is lost. And when you do the same for me, I promise to appreciate you. But if you don't, I promise to always forgive you, especially when you put your freezing cold feet on me in the middle of the night. But most of all, I promise to never stop loving you for the rest of my life."

"In you, I've found my person, my partner in life, my lover, my safe haven. Someone who inspires me and respects me. Someone who never makes me feel like I'm too much even when we all know I can be a little excessive at times. I promise to love you with everything that I am for the rest of my life because there's no one else I'd rather spend my lazy Sundays with. I promise to not keep score even when we both know I'm always right. With you, I am the best version of me, completely and unapologetically myself, and there's no one else I could imagine spending the rest of my life falling in love with over and over again."

"Do you, William, take Kennedy Lane Benton, to be your lawfully wedded wife."

"I do."

"And do you, Kennedy, take William James Harrison, to be your lawfully wedded husband."

"I do."

Is it okay if I take a second to throw up? Or ugly cry? Or both?

This day has been every bit of the perfection that Kennedy deserves. It's sweet and cute and as close to a fairytale wedding as real life can get. Even Will almost teared up when she walked down the aisle, and he's typically as stoic as a statue.

Although it's probably a good thing since Kennedy did tell him she'd turn around if he didn't.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride."

I could say their happily ever after has finally begun, but honestly, they've been living happily ever after for a while now.

Well, that and taking pictures in a chilly white grove while everyone else gets to eat little cocktail shrimp in the warmth doesn't seem like a very nice beginning.

But what do I know about happily ever afters? I mean, no one even told me that catching feelings for someone makes it ten times easier to spot them across the room. It's like your body knows they're near, and you just migrate in their direction. It's like the moment I slip through the door, attempting to avoid drawing any attention in my direction, I spot him.

I should really stop myself from admiring him so much. It's only going to inflate his ego, but he's wearing a full out, perfectly tailored suit with burgundy tie and oxfords. He easily looks like he stepped out of a GQ magazine. It's not fair to any other man in this room.

It makes me feel a little better when Declan has already spotted me, but unfortunately, he's merely a second too late. I've already spotted someone else out of the corner of my eye.

The person I don't know rather to love or hate for getting me into this little mess with Declan.

The one and only Carter Greyson.

It's not that I didn't fully expect him to show up looking exactly the same as he did the night we met, but I expected it to feel so much different, especially when he's sitting alone with no ring in sight. Wasn't he supposed to get married over a year ago?

Declan follows my line of sight before turning his eyes back to me, attempting to read any physical sign that could elude how I feel at this moment. The corners of my mouth turning up into a soft smile as I make my way towards him.