Chapter 48

"Are you sure this isn't too much? I know it's a new years party, but it's still for your work. Aren't there going to be a lot of your clients there?"

"Mary-Kelton, it's fine. You look gorgeous."

The black and gold one shoulder jumpsuit seemed like a classy option, but now that this has become a business event, I'm feeling a little self conscious. I need everyone to think I'm a worthy partner for their newest partner, not some escort hired for the night.

I know, I know. These sort of events were the exact things I was trying to stay away from. The reason for our first real fight. The type of socializing that stresses me out to the max.

And yet here I am because that's the type of thing you do for people you love.

"Besides," he laughs, grabbing my hand across the vehicle, "it's a little too late for you to change now that we're here."

I sigh, a sad attempt to let out all the nervousness tingling in my chest. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

The valet opens the door, but I'm immediately met by Declan holding his arm out to help me out. Once I'm steady on the ground in my flashy gold heels, he presses his lips to my temple.

"You're going to be fine. Everyone is going to love you just like I do. It's New Year's Eve. You're allowed to have a little fun even if it is a lame corporate schmoozing party."

The room is full of men and women just as formally dressed as we are, and I'm thankful to see a few other jumpsuits, pants suits, and even a few strapless dresses. I'm a little more comfortable, but not enough to prepare myself for an introduction merely seconds after we enter the room.

"Declan," a deep older voice greets us immediately, shaking Declan's hand. "Congratulations. Mr. Anderson looks forward to working with you."

"Thank you, Scott. I look forward to meeting with him next week as well."

"And who might this be?" The old man smiles just a little too big when he takes my hand into introducing himself once again.

Declan comes to my rescue to keep me from stuttering my name this early in the night. "This is my girlfriend Mary-Kelton."

It's not the first time he's ever called me that, but I think it's the first time he's said it so casually to a stranger.

It's funny to hear him say it out loud, especially to someone so prestigious. It sounds like such a childish term in this environment, and yet it makes my heart tingle just a little. It's so stupid how something as menial as calling me his girlfriend in front of other people makes me feel.

It's so weird to hear such a term come from Declan's mouth, but I kind of like it.

After a short conversation where I just smile and nod, he finally breaks away.

"I've got someone I want you to meet." He pulls me towards a taller man who can't be any older than mid-forties. I'm pretty sure we've never met, but he has the familiar, characteristically charming crooked smile. "This is Austin. He's the one who left his big shot job to start his own company, and then hired me after David."

David.

His father.

So, this is the one who saved my boyfriend from whatever hell his father put him through. The family friend who helped both of my boys make it to the men they are today. I've never been more thankful to a stranger in my entire life.

"Hi, I'm Mary-Kelton." He extends his hand to shake mine.

"Oh, trust me." He cuts his eyes playfully at Declan. "I know exactly who you are. It's nice to finally meet you. You must be one hell of a woman to put up with my nephew."