Chapter 15

So, it really was just a fluke. I totally misread the situation. Jordan has been nothing but a gentleman the past week as always, and that night has slowly drifted from our memory. I guess the fact that he still kisses me after dates means I didn't bruise him too much. It also got me a Friday night with Kennedy.

"I can't believe you're actually here!" She squeals. "I talk to you all the time, but I feel like I haven't seen you in forever unless it's for wedding stuff or with Jordan!"

"Yeah, he keeps me kind of busy," I reply as I blow a small puff of air out through my nose. "Like all the time."

I don't want her to hate Jordan, so I've debated this whole week whether or not to tell her. She's always the lover, and I'm the fighter. However, her last boyfriend before Will wasn't exactly a sweetheart, and he talked her into doing some things she didn't want to do by being a manipulative little shit. I mean that idiot cried over every little thing just so he could touch her. Anyways, not the point.

The point is that I've decided this is just something to keep to myself for now. Declan won't answer his freaking phone, and Kennedy has her wedding in like a few months. I'll just have to call Jackson when I get home tomorrow.

"So, I heard it's getting serious. I can't believe you had dinner with the most famous lawyer in the city, and you're dating his son, who is going to be a lawyer, too. I expect a really nice gift from you guys for my wedding." She laughs.

"Mmm hmm."

The concerned expression on her face tells me that I must have been a little too short with that answer.

"Is everything okay?" She asks.

I want to tell her. I need to tell her. I need to access this from an outsider's view. I need someone to tell me that I'm just overthinking everything, and it was a one time incident. A complete and utter misunderstanding for both of us.

I need to tell her.

But I just can't. What do I even say? I feel like it's supposed to be a secret between me and Jordan. He would be mortified if he knew I told her.

Come on. Think. What is something I could be worried about?

"Yeah, I'm just a little worried about Declan. I haven't seen him in a few weeks, and he won't answer his phone. I think he texted me back like twice."

"Hmm. That's weird. I saw him the other day, and he seemed fine. I did think it was weird when he asked me about you, but I just figured you were busy with Jordan or something."

"Oh, okay. Maybe he's just busy, too, but we've always made time for each other. I don't know. I'll try to talk to him a little later."

I know how much she loves being all girly, so I grabbed some facials and beauty stuff earlier this afternoon. I knew I would need to buy the whole cavalry of a girl's night makeover kit if I wanted to keep her from wanting to go out and do something.

She's sitting in front of me painting some weird gray stuff onto my face that I'm praying doesn't burn my sensitive skin.

"I know this isn't exactly the best thing to talk about, but could I ask you a question about Jeremiah?"

"Like my ex, Jeremiah?"

She seems surprised but not triggered or anything, so I decide it's safe to continue.

"Yeah. I was just wondering how he was at the beginning of your relationship?" She furrows her eyebrows and gives me a funny look, so I lie. "There's someone at work who's in a clingy relationship. He didn't rape her or anything! She's just a little hesitant because he almost pushed her into going further than she wanted to. He obviously stopped, and she said he felt awful about it. He seems like he really loves her and all. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to be worried about her or anything."