Chapter 43

"Declan Ambrose Wilder, you didn't tell me that our 'photographer' was Maverick." He clicks a photo of my surprised reaction before I let go of Declan to rush over and squeeze the shit out of him.

"Happy birthday!" He says smiling.

"I can't believe you're actually here."

"You do realize some of my family lives like an hour away, right? We don't all get to fly first class, though."

He takes a few pictures here and there, near the fountain, under the walkway. Half of which are me laughing hysterically at Declan or Declan and his stereotypical look feigned dark aloofness. We finally make it to the big Christmas tree, our backs toward the street.

I see one flash before a group of people behind us yell, "Surprise!"

"Oh my gosh! What are you guys doing here?"

"Happy birthday!"

Kennedy, Will, Stella, Chance, Genevieve, and even Chris and Hailey are all here.

It's times like these I wish I was a crier, so I could show them just how thankful I am to have them in my life. I've had friends, but I've never had friends who somehow made plans to end up in NY with me for my birthday. But then again, I've never had a boyfriend take me with him on a getaway trip and have them all surprise me either.

I guess I should call them what they are—family.

Between the pictures of me and Declan and the million Stella and Gen made me take I'm surprised we have room left on the card for our goofy group shots. We even found a couple who took some so everyone could be together in one shot.

One shot that I will keep for the rest of my life.

One shot that almost made us late for our dinner reservation that had been booked three weeks in advance. If I knew we would be sprinting four blocks, I probably would have passed on the gorgeous heel, but it's too late to think about that now.

When we're finally seated, Declan leans over to whisper in my ear. "I have to be honest, I didn't think we would be at the 'meet the parents' stage this quickly, so I figured inviting them was the next best thing."

"This is absolutely perfect." I give him a soft smile before laughing. "We still have a lot to talk about before you meet my parents."

"And why is that?" He asks rhetorically. "It's not like I deflowered and corrupted their innocent daughter or anything. Besides, I spoil you more than they do. They have to like me."

"If you keep spoiling me, I might become a brat."

"Trust me, love, you already are, and I absolutely adore it."

I roll my eyes. "Of course you do."

For the next couple of hours, my life feels like one of those before credit montages. You know? The ones with slow motion laughter, where everyone is smiling, and it goes through their little 'happily ever after' moments? The classic romance that's been there from the beginning–Kennedy and Will. The stubborn, complicated romance–me and Declan–obviously. And then there's the new, insinuated romance–Maverick and Gen (which we will definitely need to talk about later).

All one big, happy family.

And to top it all off, we're like the classy kind of big happy family, all dressed up fancy and eating expensive food and wine.

I say classy, but when they bring out dessert and the whole table is singing their own rendition of "Happy Birthday," I'm pretty sure we look like a group of rambunctious teenagers after prom, especially when I end up with whipped cream on my nose, courtesy of Kennedy.

Everyone explodes when Declan proceeds to lick straight off my nose, but I'm pretty sure they're not laughing at him. They're laughing at the completely mortified and disgusted look on my face.

"Okay," Stella says suddenly. "It's time to open your presents."

"You didn't have to do that. You guys being here was enough already."

"Oh, please." Gen butts in. "We wouldn't come all the way here for your birthday dinner without presents."

Of course the cutout sweater dress Stella has been showing me for weeks makes a reappearance. I guess she really did buy that for my birthday along with a matching necklace.

I give Mav a funny look when I pull out the cutest monogrammed camera strap with a soft leather pad for the shoulder. What's even more confusing is when Gen hands me a bag that matches the strap perfectly. That devious smile is as confusing as it is cute. I discreetly wiggle my eyebrows and wink at Mav, which he replies with an eye roll, but his smile grows bigger than mine.

I know I play around with Mavericks camera a lot, but this is way too much for my small little refurbished $85 digital camera from 2016. They both just laugh at my confusion.

The fact that there are at least three gift cards to restaurants tells me my friends either really know me well or I eat it way too much.

"Will you finally let me buy dinner for once?" I laugh, turning towards Declan beside me. "Technically, it's not exactly me if I use a gift card, right?"

He doesn't answer; he just rolls his eyes.

"Okay, Declan. What did you get her?" Stalla asks.

"I took her to New York City. Isn't that enough?" he teases, the guys all laughing while the girls shake their heads.

I just roll my eyes, showing them the ring and bracelet.

There are multiple "Aww"s and a few solid head nods towards Declan.

"Tell them the story." Declan says once he can get a word in.

"What story?"

"You know, your random Cartier facts."

"Ohh, that's not a story." I turn back towards the table. "They just used to call them modern love handcuffs. I guess because you have to unscrew them to get them off unless you get a bigger size."

"That's why I got yours just tight enough to fit perfectly." Declan says sweetly before revealing his true motives once again. "So, everybody will know you're mine, and you're stuck with me."

"You know," Mav interjects. "Is that like the watch you bought me a while back? Does this mean I get to be yours forever, too?"

Declan doesn't seem very amused, but I can't seem to hold in my laughter. "Of course! I'll share custody with you. You can have him every other weekend and some of the holidays. Oh, and every time he starts to annoy me."

He laughs along at every joke that comes at his expense, but eventually he grumbles through his teeth, something only I can hear. "Why does everything have to be a fucking joke to you?"

"We're just messing with you." I whisper, placing my hand softly on his thigh to reassure him.

I'm torn between teasing the fuck out of him until he's mad enough to drag me back to the hotel room and finding a way to let him know just how loved he is despite our taunting.

I manage to hold off his rage until nearly midnight, and whether we like it or not, it's time to go before the restaurant closes on us. A couple more hours goofing off around the city is a must before saying goodnight and going our separate ways.

And after a day full of Declan's surprises, I have a little surprise of my own. It starts off casual and slow. Setting my gifts on the table, defrosting from the snow. The door clicks behind us and thick coats hit the floor with a soft thud.