Chapter 45

The bright light of day reveals newfound secrets from the dark night, and by that I mean the bright lights of the bathroom show every mark Declan left on me last night.

"Declan Ambrose Wilder!" I shriek from the bathroom. I can hear him jump from the bed as I once again gaze into the mirror. "What the fuck did you do to me? They're everywhere! I thought we both agreed on no hickeys."

They literally are everywhere—my neck, my collar bone, my breasts, down my abdomen, my thighs. At least there's only two on my neck high enough to see. I guess I will be wearing foundation today after all.

His urgency has turned into a slow stroll as he enters the bathroom. "You didn't seem worried about my little love bites last night." He smirks.

I punch him in the chest. "You better be glad it's fucking winter. We're going to your mom's after we fly home today. What the hell were you thinking?" I'm shaking my head. "What the hell was I thinking?" I whisper to myself.

"Are you mad?" It's a very rhetorical question. "That's how it feels when I tell you not to do something and you do it anyway. You make everyone think you've got me wrapped around your finger, but maybe these will remind you that mine are wrapped around your throat. You're mine, and I made sure you wouldn't forget it."

"I'll show you wrapped around my finger," I spit before pushing him out of the bathroom and slamming the door.

I don't care how fucking dominant he thinks he is. I will get my revenge.

I spend the next hour getting ready and packing in silence. It's not really about all his little love marks. It's about how we made a promise—a silly, small one, but nonetheless, a promise—that he broke. What happens when it's a big one?

"Ready to go?" He asks with a small smile.

"Yeah."

I think he knows he's screwed up because he doesn't think before he acts.

Ever.

The quiet plane ride and short drive is even more boring than I expected, but when we arrive, there are nearly seven cars parked around the road and driveway of the house.

"Why are there so many cars?"

He doesn't answer. He simply pulls our suitcases out and enters the crowded home. Thankfully, Hailey is the first person I see. Her familiar face calms the nervous butterflies until Declan's mom walks out to immediately hug him.

"I can't believe you're finally home! I missed you!" When she releases him, she slowly turns towards me. "You must be Mary-Kelton. I'm so glad to finally meet you. Declan told me all about you." She moves to hug me as well.

I shoot Declan a small smile. I guess we're off to a good start.

"You can call me MK, and they're all good things, I hope." I laugh as she pulls back.

Why do I always respond with that? It's not cute.

"All good things."

She winks at me before dragging us past a crowded den where there are people covering every open seat, including the arms of the couch. There are a couple of familiar faces laughing and casually conversing among them, like Chris and Hailey, but everyone else is a stranger.

When we reach the end of the hallway, she motions to the open door. "You can both stay in here or there's another room right across the hallway."

"She'll just stay in here." Declan answers before any words can form in my brain, much less actually leave my mouth.