t w e n t y t w o

chaewon walked out from her house after changing into more comfortable clothes. she hugged herself with the jacket and found hyunjin was waiting outside, also has changed into more warm outfits.

"where to?"

"just walking around here." chaewon replied with a gummy smile. hyunjin stifled a laugh.

"did you see the forecast?"

"it's gonna rain tonight." the girl nodded as they started walking. "but we can just stay in the convenience store."

the male put an arm around her shoulders with a sigh. the height difference ease him to do it even though chaewon tried to push him off playfully. "you're so stubborn, you know that?"

"you gotta do everything you want in your only once life." she muttered as she looked up to the dark sky. the orange lights blinded her eyes so she looked back to the front while shaking her head lightly. hyunjin giggled at that.

he pat the girl's head. "you're like a cat. so stubborn but cute."

"i am honoured. but hyunjin," the male turned to her. "you almost cried earlier. what's wrong? did something happen?"

the look on hyunjin's face fell. chaewon started to think she said something wrong but then the guy pulled her into the convenience store. the cold air conditioner hit her skin and she shivered.

"oh, hyunjin?"

"hi noona, your shift is today?"

haseul shook her head. "just for tonight." she then averted her gaze to the shivering chaewon and her lips curled up into a smirk. "is that–"

"we'll take two hot chocolates, like usual." hyunjin quickly took out his money and dragged chaewon to the drink maker. haseul just laughed.

"take four hot packs too, it's on me." she winked, earning a groan from hyunjin. chaewon muttered a thank you before taking hot packs from the isle.

"is it really gonna rain?" the girl asked as they settled on the stools that were facing the outside. hyunjin nodded. "ah, i'm excited but nervous."

"don't tell me you're planning to play in the rain again."

chaewon shook her head with a playful smile. she took the drink from hyunjin. both of them sat in silence with the slow music playing on the background. the glassed wall was already tinted with the water vapour, forming a thin layer of white drops in front of them.

"one night i ran away from home," hyunjin started, catching her interest. "things were not going so well. my parents argue everyday without reasons and i needed break. so i went here."

he put the hot cup on the table and rested his arms on it, a smile forming on his face as he stared at the empty park outside. "it was raining. and on the same night i saw a girl was dancing in the rain, as if none of the droplets harm her when they actually do."

chaewon was tongue tied at that. she averted her gaze to where hyunjin was looking.

"i always wonder if she ever gets sick and she lied. after days and weeks of joining her in the rain she fainted. with that i found out the truth."

"hyunjin..."

"isn't it hurts? to see someone you care suddenly collapsed in front of you when you thought they were just fine?"

the girl looked down, missing hyunjin's smile. he put a hand on her head and stroke it gently. "but then i cannot blame her because we all have our own ways to escape from our problems. hers and mine are different. i just want to run from my family for one day, and she wants to meet her family up there."

"you never tell me anything too and you almost cried earlier."

"did that make you worry?"

boldly, chaewon nodded. "so much. you never cried out of sudden. you're always smiling and never hint that you have problems with your parents. just how much did you hide from everyone?"

hyunjin chuckled as he cupped her cheek with a hand, "guess we're the same?"

oh... right...

by the time they went silent again, the rain poured the ground. hyunjin watched as the droplets raced their ways down the glassed wall. "everytime when it rains it reminds me of the reason why she did that. and i hope one day she'd know that she's not alone, that she has me now," the smile on his face widened. "she can rely on me whenever she wants, she can trust me as her number one support. can you help me send the message to her?"

chaewon laughed at that. she held his wrist and leaned in, "message delivered."

"has she read it?"

"she heard it, and she said thanks."

"that's all?" he furrowed his eyebrows with a slight pout.

smiling contently, chaewon softly pressed her lips on his cheek. hyunjin froze.

"and she's asking for a dance in the rain right now."

the girl took off her jacket and so did he. then she pulled his arm before running out from the store. haseul's voice of alarm was ignored.

as soon as the rain hit their skins, both of them bursted into laughter. she tried to run around but hyunjin's hold prevented her to do so, causing her to ran back to him. "come on!"

"wait for a minute, we're not fully drenched yet." hyunjin grinned. the girl rolled her eyes playfully before cupping his cheeks and stood on her tiptoes.

"fill in the one minute." she stared at his wet hair that covered his eyes. hyunjin giggled. he stroke his hair back, making her heat beat faster than the usual.

"quite bold, aren't you?"

"we only live once, hyunjin."

with that he pressed his lips on hers, kissing her gently. chaewon grinned at that. she lightly pulled away and put her forehead on his.

"what's wrong?"

"we're already drenched."

the guy chuckled. he leaned in for another kiss which she replied to it instantly as her arms wrapped around his neck. as soon as the rain got harder, they pulled away once again.

"this will be the last time, chaewonie."

the girl happily nodded before she stepped back and intertwined their hands together, "at least my last wish is granted."

they extended their arms together before she twirled once,

twice,

thrice,

until she felt herself being lift up by the waist. chaewon squealed when hyunjin turned around once and put her back on the ground. her hands were rested on his shoulders, laughing at the sudden action.

it was a bit rare to see the girl laughing sincerely without hiding so much secrets behind it. this can be said was the first time hyunjin had seen her being genuinely happy. though he didn't know if she was, it was better than before.

for him her laugh is music, and it sounded better along with the rain at night.

"one more time!"

he wished the girl knows how much he cared for her since the moment when he saw her dancing in the rain alone.

"how many turns do you want?"

"three! as long as you don't faint."

and now that she's no longer alone, he couldn't be more happy.

at least she got someone to rely on, and to dance with at night under the cold rain.

cold yet memorable. and...

lovely.

—fin.