t h i r t e e n

hyunjin flinched as he heard the loud slamming from the living room. he quickly turned off the lamp and got under the blanket. if that was his father, this would not end well.

"jiyoon!"

hyunjin shut his eyes while silently praying nothing bad could happen. but what could he do? only hoping, not making it true.

footsteps were heard running down and the shouting immediately echoed through the house. he could not hold it any longer, it had been two weeks since he saw chaewon and since that the argument became his daily life. 

he wanted to know why they were always arguing. he deserved to know.

with heavy legs, hyunjin walked to the door and slowly opened it trying not to make any sound. his parents seem like pausing for awhile and he could hear papers being thrown off.

"take a look," his father growled. "whose dna is this?"

dna? his eyebrows met.

"where did you get this?" the woman asked, hyunjin could hear she was sobbing. his heart ached, he had never heard her mother crying. that was the first time.

"that's your son's result."

"he's yours too!"

that stroke his mind.

hyunjin's breathing started to become heavy. he cupped his mouth as he could not believe his ears. his eyes widened, staring off the stairs.

"i'm.. not?" the guy whispered to himself. he could not bring himself to continue the words, he never wanted to say that even though his father had never treated him like a real son for more than ten years. 

but now.. really?

"that's from the guy you've been seeing after we got married. you're still going to deny it?"

"w-wait you met him? i've never met him since the incident. i've never slept with him i swear! whose the mother's dna in this?!" the woman's voice sounded so heart broken with her sobs. and the fact that hyunjin was peeking from upstairs only made him feel worse. his mother slept with another guy and he was not the seed of the man in front of him? 

mom cheated on dad? is this why he never treated me right?

"jiyoon-"

"no please, please.. let's check about this again please bring hyunjin to do the test properly you cannot just believe that man." she cried, pleading. hyunjin saw how she tried to hold his arm but he moved away and went straight to the stairs.

"haejun!"

hyunjin ran to his room and locked the door. he slipped down to the floor while hugging his knees. the threatening tears finally fell. he was sure his parents knew he heard them but he cared less. 

is this what they have been hiding from me? for seventeen years?

burying his face in his knees, hyunjin finally let out his broken sobs. disappointed, sad, anger and hesitation mixed into one and played in his head. there were sounds coming from nowhere whispering to him to be fine, to blame his mother, not to believe them and to hate them. but none of that really helped him to make a decision. his crying got louder and he was sure there was someone standing in front of the door.

"hyunjin.."

"go away." he said slowly as he didn't want to sound rude to his mother. but oh well, he just did.

the guy got up and walked to his bed. even the room was dark, he could still see the room from the moon shining through his opened window. after a moment his crying went down. hyunjin sniffed as he leaned his body to the window and stared at the sky.

if i'm not his son, then who?

🌧️