Chapter 28: Of Their Own Accord Part 3

3rd Person POV

The settlement was horrific and in chaos, but the fighters and the people of Washington DC held firm and fought with courage and fury. The situation was looking dire as the last two Abrams tank were destroyed and worst of all the enemy had pushed past the second defensive line and the fighters were giving their all and throwing everything, they had at them.

The group including Rafale, Nico, and Pedro were held up behind Lafayette Square. Darius was done taking videos and pictures and took it upon himself to man an M134 while Jonathan manned an M240 feeding the bullets himself. A mortar team bombarded the enemy and a Humvee with a mounted M2 assisted the line. The enemy was being slaughtered here but were determined and fought back furiously many times did FOA soldiers charge at the enemy with bayonets or grenades in hand, with intent to kill themselves and the fighters.

The barrel of the M240 Jonathan was using began to turn red hot from the continuous stream of bullets, the onetime Jonathan let off the trigger he was confused when the weapon continued to fire after realizing what he had done he aimed the weapon and let the gun shoot itself until the bullet chain ended. "Fuck Jonathan" he scolded himself and pulled the gun off its mount and threw it to the ground, swinging the primary from his back he got to work and fired off rounds at the soldiers. He really had to wonder where were their allies or should he say their saviors, did they change their mind, or did they realize they were a lost cause?

A loud whistling and explosion caused a building behind them to explode, debris rained down on them. It was sight the fighters were all too familiar with, a T-600 stomped down the street but this one had gunners on top of it. Snatching an RPG and aiming at the tank Jonathan fired, and it struck the front left leg causing it to stagger from the impact. The beast however stood standing and fired again this time destroying a part of the wall.

Elsewhere David inside the capitol building was commanding his people the best he could in order to keep the enemy away. But he was failing. "Sir, we lost Ford Theater were retreating!" David's hands shook and droplets of sweat ran down his head, the settlement was falling, and David needed a last stand plan. Looking around the room he was in he laid eyes on an emergency exit map of the capitol and a lightbulb lit in his head, "All fighters, all fighters if the third defense line falls, retreat to the capitol building if you can't make it resort to guerrilla warfare, we make our final stand today". Gaining the attention of a soldier he made a request, "Order the flags to fly if we fall today let them know who were".

Three soldiers on the roof of the capitol building made haste and raised the red, white, and blue, 50 stars and 13 stripes above the capitol building. Outside the building soldiers quickly set up what fortifications they could scrape together, David stepped outside the building and heard the constant gunfire and explosions and he saw retreating soldiers running towards the capitol building. Sighing heavily, he made the cross over himself, "God help us".

Back with the group, they were struggling and on the verge of giving up. Jonathan's heart was racing, and his mind started to go blank, Rose seeing Jonathan basically freeze she ran to him and slapped him hard snapping him out of his frozen state. "Jonathan, we need to go!" she shouted at him, and he nodded, "EVERYONE RETREAT, RETREAT TO THE CAPITOL BUILDING!" he yelled, and his friends and fighters ran for their lives.

When they were far enough, Rachel looked back and pulled out a detonator. Spinning around and kneeling she waited for the T-600 to stand directly on top of the wall and for the soldiers to flood over the wall. Brooklyn seeing her friend stay behind she stopped and went back, "Rachel come on" she said but was interrupted by bullets whizzing by, taking aim and firing back at the invaders she looked to Rachel who was still waiting. The T-600 stood on top, and soldiers continued to flood over, she pushed the detonator, and a massive explosion instantly destroyed the titan and killed countless soldiers, the force of the blast made Brooklyn and Rachel fall on their backs. Rafael, Timothy, Darius, and Nico came running back to help them, "Crazy bastard" Rafael muttered as he pulled Rachel to her feet. "Come on let's go" Nico ushered them to continue running while more FOA soldiers advanced on them.