Chapter 22: This We'll Defend

Jonathan's POV

The sun set below the horizon and night was upon us. Everyone was in place and Washington DC stood ready as a fort, people who couldn't fight mostly children hid inside the White House.  some people was given night vision equipment while everyone else had to rely on flashlights and other means of lights.

I was outfitted in my black tactical vest with my red thin line sweatshirt underneath and with the med kit and gas mask attached to the belt, my helmet with the visor down, my favorite HK416 and my P320 in his holster. Nothing to special.

Rose was outfitted with her black hoodie but with a plate carrier over it and her helmet, the ACR slung over her body and an M9 berretta holstered in the vest. Because of her specialty she had two hatchets strapped to her thighs and several throwing knives attached to her belt and her bowie knife seethed on her forearm.

Darius had a plate carrier with a 'Press' patch on his back and a swat style helmet, he didn't carry much he had a journal and camera for pictures if he wanted. For defense he had a revolver and a knife. He told us he would behind the battle writing and taking pictures.

Brooklyn had her chest rig vest on with her and a ski mask, her wakizashi sword seethed behind her back. A tan backpack with a medic patch on it, inside she had the medical essentials to carry into battle. In her hands she carried an Ak-12 and for her secondary she had an M1911.

Timothy and Rachel had matching outfits, they had black tactical vests and full face tactical ballistic helmets. Rachel had a backpack that was full of equipment that demolitionist would need. Timothy carried an MG4 and for a secondary he had a desert eagle, strapped behind him was an AT4 rocket launcher, on his vest he had a grenade belt slung around his chest. Rachel had an AA-12 drum magazine shotgun and a 44 magnum for a secondary, on her belt were several frag grenades.

And finally, Jose was outfitted with an armor plate vest and a helmet, by his side was his trusty M14 and for a secondary a M9 baretta. Jose had placed a night vision scope on his M14 giving him the advantage, if he could find a great spot for sniping, he would be unstoppable.

Currently I was holding hands with Rose standing in front of one another, looking at each other worryingly. "Be safe... please" I said to her, and she place a pretty smile on her face, "I will be... can I trust you to be safe too?" she asked, and I nodded. Smiling she gave me a tight and loving hug and I hugged back with equal affection. For a minute we stay there and then broke away, quick and sudden footsteps approached us, and we looked to see Darius, "Their here about 5 minutes out" he said, and I nodded, "We have a job to do" I said, and Rose nodded firmly and with that we parted ways.

I quickly ran to the trench that face towards the oncoming force, jumping in and prepping my weapon I waited along with others. I heard a grunt and thud next to me and I saw Timothy next to me aiming his gun over the trench, I looked to my sides and saw people with faces of determination and courage to push back the invaders, to my left I saw two guys manning an M240 emplacement. "How many of them are coming?" I asked Timothy, "From the scouts they say maybe a few thousand, Pedro did say a whole army" Timothy shrugged, and I exhaled slowly to calm my nerves. Then in the distance we saw the bright lights from several vehicles and the voices of soldiers approaching us.

Pulling a walkie talkie from my vest I contacted Jose, "Jose do you have a visual on them?" I asked and he scoffed "Of course I can their lights are bright as shit... also if you're wondering I am on top of the roof of the capitol building" he said, raising an eyebrow "Um okay good to know" I said and turned off the radio.

The lights got closer and eventually we could see the silhouettes of FOA soldiers approaching our trench seeing the danger everyone ducked down and waited for the order. My heart was racing, and I gripped my gun tightly, the silence was creepy the only sound were the approaching FOA boots that crunched in the snow and beams of lights passing over our heads.