Chapter One: Started on Slauson

Olivia Baker

"Hello?! Jackson! I've been trying to reach you for some time now! I'm here at Woody's Barbecue, where the hell are you?!" Olivia said, waiting for Jackson's response.

Frustrated, she tapped her foot on the pavement to sooth her nerves. It was a Friday evening in Los Angeles and Olivia was waiting to meet her new friend, Jackson, for dinner. The two young adults met in their English college course and agreed to get to know one another outside of school.

"Woody's Barbecue? Olivia, I thought we agreed to meet at Lucille's Barbecue in Culver City. Where are you at?" Jackson asked, concerned for his friend's whereabouts.

"I'm at Woody's Barbecue on Crenshaw and Slauson. You know, Jackson, you could've just told me if you did not want to go on a date anymore. I made myself look like a complete idiot when I asked for our reservation! The restaurant stopped indoor dining years ago!" Olivia practically yelled in her phone.

"I know we haven't known each other for that long, but you know I would never-"

"Jackson?! You there?" She called out. Olivia pulled her phone away from her ear and noticed the screen was black. Her phone died.

"Well, this is fucking great!" she breathed out heavily, before stuffing her phone in her pocket.  Her eyes wandered the block ahead of her. She noticed a shell gas station to the left of Woody's and decided to head in that direction.

"This definitely isn't Culver City" Olivia swallowed, unaware of her whereabouts. As Olivia wandered on the sidewalk on Slauson, she noticed a group of grown mean nearby. The men were stationed on the sidewalk, chopping it up.

Olivia crossed her arms in front of her chest, mentally preparing herself for what could possibly occur. One of the men whispered to the other men in the group. The men hawked her as Olivia walked toward their direction. She felt her breathing hitch as she made eye contact with them.

"What you doin' over here, sexy?" the heavily tatted man licked his lips before taking a pull from his blunt. Olivia ignored him, only focused on the Shell gas station straight ahead.

"Aye, I'm talking to you!" the man grabbed Olivia's wrist, causing her to jump. He chuckled at her reaction, shaking his head.

"I ain't tryna hurt you, just answer the question. Where you from?" He pressed, tightening his grip on her arm.

"Can you please just leave me alone?!" Olivia begged, tears threatening to escape her big brown eyes. The group of men started to surround the both of them, she was afraid what they would do to her.

"What the hell y'all doin?!" a young man questioned, approaching the scene. Olivia squinted her eyes at him. He looked familiar to her, but she could not identify who he was right away.

The young man wore a plain white t-shirt paired with Dickie shorts. The bottom of his legs were covered in white knee high socks with Royal Blue converse on his feet. Olivia locked eyes with the young man, hoping he'd noticed she was in need of help.

"What up, what up!" the heavily tatted man greeted him, throwing up his set.

"Damn that right now! You good, babe?" He brushed passed the grown men, walking towards Olivia.

Thank, God! Now play the part, Liv! Olivia thought to herself, thankful this stranger showed up to help her.

"I'm okay, baby. Thank you!" Olivia smiled, rubbing the young man's arm.

"Oh shit! This you, cuh?!" The grown man asked, taking a few steps back.

"You damn straight!" He said, sternly.

"Aye, my fault Killa! We out!" The grown man announced, leaving the sidewalk with his entourage.

Olivia and the young man kept their eyes on the group to ensure they were leaving the area.

"You aight?" the young man asked, once the group was out of his sight.

"I will be," Olivia sighed, pausing to wipe her eyes on her sleeve. "Thank you."

"You need a ride?" He asked, clearing his throat. He could sense her hesitancy as she looked down at the graffiti on the pavement. "No gimmicks, I promise," He guaranteed.

"Okay" Olivia softly smiled, trying to keep her composure.

"How you end up over here?" He asked Olivia as the both of them continued to walk down Slauson.

"I, uh, needed a phone charger...to call my boyfriend" Olivia lied, twirling her fingers.

"Hm, aight. You ain't gotta tell me shit" He chuckled, shaking his head at her dishonesty.

"Does your 'boyfriend' know you in the Crenshaw District?" He asked, walking her toward the passenger side of his car to open the door for her.

"No, he doesn't. I need you to take me to him. He's at Lucille's Barbecue in Culver City" Olivia said as she sat in the passenger seat. He closed the passenger door while Olivia fastened her seatbelt.

"I'ma keep it real wit chu. Had I not shown up when I did, them niggas was gonna rob you. That's how shit plays out over here. You need to be mindful of where you are at, stay alert at all times" The young man explained, driving out of the parking lot.

"Wait, if you know that shit goes down here, why don't you tell the police?" Olivia genuinely questioned. The young man chuckled at her cluelessness, licking his lips.

"You just be careful 'round here" He looked over in Olivia's direction, ignoring her question.

Comfortable silence engulfed the car as the young man continued to drive on the road. Twenty minutes later, he pulled up in front of Lucille's Barbecue. He hopped out the vehicle, walking toward the passenger door to let Olivia out.

"Thank you for the ride...and saving me from those creeps" Olivia said as she stepped out of his car.

"No problem..." He drifted, waiting for Olivia to give him her name.

"Olivia" She smiled at him.

"Olivia" He repeated, gazing into her eyes.

Olivia broke their eye contact, heading towards the front door of the restaurant. "Oh, I didn't catch your name?" Olivia turned towards him but he was gone.

***

Excuse any mistakes made in here, I am not a writer. Hope you enjoyed the first chapter!