Chapter 61 - Nightfall

The horses neighed as the entrance to the second mountain was in their line of sight.

Only a mere fence served as the indicator that they were now going inside the second mountain of the Mir Mountains and Pier fiddled his fingers in anxiousness.

"So... where are we going now?" Pier asked as the carriage stopped just right outside the fences.

"Get off," Ciaran said and Pier had a disbelieving look on his face.

"No, what if you suddenly leave me here?!" He said in a nervous voice and Ciaran tried not to facepalm himself.

"I will get off too," He explained and Pier had a slightly relieved look on his face.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yes"

"Can you get off first so I can make sure you won't leave me?" He said while doing a fake puppy eye behind Ciaran even though the man could not see his face.

Sigh

Ciaran took a huge breathe at Pier's child-like attitude again.

He got off the coachman's place and hurried to open the door of the wooden carriage for Pier.

"We have arrived at our destination, young master," Ciaran spoke as he bowed slightly and he held his hand out for Pier to grab on to.

"Hehe, thanks man," Pier said in a goofy voice as he played along with Ciaran's act of respect towards him.

When they fully got off, Pier turned to look around.

The trees of the second mountain were a lot bigger than the first one. They extended so high above that Pier does not know if he can even climb one.

'The trees here are even bigger than the one back at the forest!' He recalled the time when he fought with the magic beast at Sokran Forest and saved Gideon.

"Hey, can you at least give me a gist of what the monsters here are like?" He asked as he stepped on a dry leaf and it produced a crunchy sound as it broke down into smaller pieces at the pressure.

"They do not like hearing the sound of dry leaves getting stepped on."

Eek!

Immediately, Pier shrieked as he clung to Ciaran's arms.

The green-eyed man lightly laughed at Pier and the young master turned to smack him in the arm.

"That's not nice," Pier said as he distanced himself from Ciaran, not that he actually did. He just stood firmly beside the man and held onto Ciaran's arm with a small gap between them.

"Really?" Ciaran had an amused look on his face.

He had finally thought about it after all the thinking he did.

It was not a façade that Pier was trying to have.

Both of Pier's childlike side and his serious one are a product of his genuine emotions.

Ciaran concluded that it simply depends on the young master's emotions on which side he chooses to show.

Ciaran then proceeded to put his hand on his mouth and he whistled.

The noise rang out in the seemingly desolate and quiet mountain.

"I thought you said monsters hate noises, why are you making one so loud!" Pier half-whispered and Ciaran shrugged his shoulders.

"I wanted to call monsters?"

Pier gasped at the statement.

"I hope you get attacked first!" He wished and Ciaran laughed at the words.