Chapter 34 - The Fall of an Earldom (2)

"Bring Arda over here this instant!" Earl Cornell screamed at the top of his lungs. His face was beet red from the embarrassment he had gotten from the young master just right outside the palace's gates. 

The servant trembled as she heard the Earl's terrifying voice.

"U-Understood, My Lord!" The servant rushed to get out of the room, afraid that she will see once more the angry Earl.

---

"I heard that one of Lady Arda's head maid had burned the young master during their gathering," an information broker said. Earl Cornell had paid quite the sum to hire them and get even the tiniest information from the young master of the Belmiunde Household.

"Hah! Such information for the price of a thousand gold?!" He angrily spoke. The information broker simply stared at him as if he were talking to someone unimportant.

"Give me better information, I tell you! If the amount I paid for is lacking, I will increase it!" The Earl arrogantly said. The information broker only sighed and nodded his head in response.

"What kind of information from the young master do you want, My Lord?" The broker asked. Earl Cornell puffed his chest out and spoke.

"I want to know when is the schedule that the brat from the Belmiunde Household goes and visits the Crown Prince!" The information broker's eyebrows raised at the request.

"I believe it will cost more than you think, My Lord, information about households starting from the duke's position until the royals are highly confidential and hard to get due to the different shadows they have installed." Shadows are known to be the hired and trained workers of the higher-ranking nobles in the kingdom.

They assassinate information brokers that try to spy and gather details about the members of the household they work in.

"Then tell me how much is it?" The Earl scoffed at the broker.

"It will be half a million gold coins, My Lord." Earl Cornell stiffened for a moment.

Half a million gold coins were enough to build a small mansion for a noble family. The Earl hesitated for a moment, it would make some losses in his wealth but if he can talk and convince Pier to be his number one customer, he would even gain multiple times of the money he spent on the information broker.

"Then I shall pay you with that amount!" Earl Cornell grinned with satisfaction. He was already expecting to rake in more money once Pier becomes their customer and he gets to hold the designs Pier had made.

The information broker nodded and the two parted ways.

---

"I heard that one of Lady Arda's head maids had burned the young master during their gathering."

Earl Cornell was furious. He thought that the information he got from a thousand gold coins was useless but who would think he'd know the reason why he has to pay two million gold by tomorrow?

The door to the Earl's office opened and Arda came in. She was still in her house attire as she had been lazing around for a few days and sometimes attending noble gatherings.

"Father, what is it? I am still deciding who to marry-" Arda spoke but she saw the glare the Earl had.

"Tell me, Arda, what did you do to the Young Master?" The Earl asked and Arda froze for a moment.

"Father what do you mean-"

"TELL ME IMMEDIATELY OR I'LL HAVE YOU LEAVE THE KINGDOM WITH YOUR MOTHER!" The Earl screamed at the top of his lungs once more and Arda shook in fear at her father's words. The Earl simply did not mean to leave the kingdom for a sort of vacation but to leave the kingdom and never return to their territory anymore.