42nd Madness

***

New.

The soft sound of the rain pattering on the glass window kept me awake as I stayed still in the soft bed.

My heart was still in chaos and my mind in haywire as I tried to ignore the person lying beside me.

Despite my utter attempt to argue about why I should be using the bed, his conviction that it was big enough for the both of us obviously won.

"Do I really affect you that much? Why? Do you still have feelings for me?"

His words trampled on my remaining ounce of pretension of being unbothered by his presence.

And so here we are, lying side by side on the large bed while listening to the sound of the rain and each other's breaths.

"New."

I immediately turned to my side and pretended to be asleep. I was expecting him to say something more but he didn't.

The silence between us even made the atmosphere awkward as we both know that none of us was sleeping.

We were both feeling each other's presence and what made it worse was that underneath the sheet that covered us was my tensed body.

I felt him move, making my heart beat even faster as he closed the distance between us and wrapped an arm around my waist, grabbing me tightly towards him.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing?"

I tried pushing him away but he just held my waist even tighter before completely hugging me from behind.

"Just for tonight, New. Just for tonight."

I shivered at the sound of his voice.

It was yearning.

It was sad.

It was home.

I admit.

His arm tightly wrapped around my waist woke up so many emotions in me.

And I wanted to hug him back.

But I didn't.

Not when he's about to be married to someone else.

Not when he's with someone else.

But I couldn't bring myself to push him away as the familiar warmth of his embrace totally crumbled down the wall I once built, crashing it completely.

"Just for tonight, babe."

His warm breath softly fanning the back of my neck made it even hard to breathe as I tried to hold in the tears that were starting to well in my eyes.

I had to admit.

Despite the amount of times that I tried to convince myself that I'm over him, it wouldn't change the fact that I still long for him.