Thirty-One |Part Three

Începe de la început

Kyle opened the door, coming face to face with a guy he did not recognize.

Like Kyle, he was tall, handsome, had blue eyes but was a brunette.

He frowned at the sight of Kyle: so Kyle frowned back.

"Can I help you?"

"Uh," the guy cleared his throat, his expression softening. "Yeah, I um, I'm looking for . . ." His face fell when he noticed Ayanna standing in the living room, breastfeeding.

They wore the same shocked expression.

"Ayanna?"

"David, hi!" she gulps, quickly grabbing a blanket from the couch to cover her boob and the baby. "W-what are you doing here?"

"I um - you wouldn't answer my calls. I was worried, so I - You know what? I should go."

"Wait, David!" Ayanna starts walking toward the door.

"Dude," Kyle stops him. "It's not exactly what you think. Trust me. You guys should talk."

Visibly hesitant, David only nods.

"I'll be back," Kyle says to an appreciative Ayanna and leaves them alone.

When Kyle pulled up to his apartment building, he turned off his car and exhaustedly leaned his head against the steering wheel.

Naturally, he hadn't slept since the baby's birth. Having things so out of sort made it all the worse. Now he was thinking about Ayanna and David.

What if she still wanted to date him? That would make things more complicated, and as much as he hated to admit it, the thought made him agitated and sad.

He couldn't even blame it on them having a baby together now. Kyle thought about who Ayanna might be seeing even before their daughter.

After breaking up with her, it worried him that maybe it was him and not Ayanna in the end. He feared that she'd find someone she was willing to open up to fully; it would hurt him that he couldn't be that guy.

Groaning, he rubbed his blue eyes roughly, "what the - FUCK!?"

A loud bang against his window scared him half to death. His fuming Dominican-Vietnamese girlfriend, Sydney, stood outside the car, staring daggers into his soul.

For a split second, he'd forgotten about her.

"Where the hell have you been?" She asked as soon as he got out of the car.

"Sydney -"

"And don't you dare tell me to calm down, Kyle!"

"I wasn't going to tell you to calm down, Syd," Kyle could feel an attitude brewing.

Though she had every right to be upset, he didn't have the capacity for her irate state.

"I have been calling you for days! You haven't responded to my texts, and I know you haven't been home! You leave our date in a hurry, and then you just ghost me!"

"Can we talk inside?" Kyle stayed calm.

Sydney was already loud, and he knew the news would make her go up a few octaves.

"No, because if your excuse is not good enough, I'm getting in my car, and you'll never see me again." Sydney crosses her arms over her chest, "now, I'm listening."

Kyle opens his mouth, unsure of how to come out with the news. In the end, he wings it.

"My ex-girlfriend had a baby . . . my baby. She was born the day I left you at the movies."