seven

"Where is he?"

"I don't know-- it started ages ago." Jimin checked his watch as you looked around, the dance in full swing. "He's gonna be late."

"I know-- they're gonna stop letting people in soon!" Crossing your arms over your chest, you let out a sigh. "This is no fun without Tae."

"I know-- I hope he didn't get, like, into an accident or something."

You gasped. "Do you think that would've happened?"

"No, y/n, I said I hope something like that didn't happen." He rolled his eyes. "This is why we need phones-- we're like the only three people in the eighth grade without cell phones."

"I know. At least then he could've called us." Jimin agreed and you sighed, watching the teachers at the front desk stary to close up. Even if Taehyung were to show up now, he wouldn't be allowed in.

"Can we leave?" Jimin asked. You nodded. "This is so boring without him-- I wonder what he's up to."

"Do you maybe wanna go to his house?" you asked. "We should make sure he's okay."

"Yeah-- let's go. My dad won't be here to pick us up for a long time anyway. We can walk there-- Tae lives close by."

You and Jimin walked to Tae's house talking gently. The dance had just started so it was only around six, seven pm. Not too dark outside for a spring evening. You found your way easily because Jimin had been over countless times to his best friend's place. Thank goodness for that too; it meant Jimin also knew Tae's parents.

"Ah, Jiminie! What are you doing here?" You smiled politely as Jimin spoke.

"Hi, Mrs. Kim-- is Taehyung here?" She nodded and gestured you both inside. She turned to you and you stuck your hand out, bowing slightly.

"I'm y/n. I'm Tae's friend."

"I figured so! He's been talking all about you recently." You beamed. "So pretty-- go on upstairs. I think he's just doing homework."

You both thanked her and you followed Jimin's lead. "What's he doing homework for on a Friday night?" Jimin asked in a whisper as he pulled you upstairs.

"He's failing math, remember? He has lots of catching up to do."

Jim knocked before pushing the door open to the room that was supposedly Tae's. He, who was already in pyjamas ready for bed, turned to face the door from his chair. His eyebrows raised in shock.

"What the heck are you guys doing here?"

"What the heck are you doing here?" you asked back as Jimin closed the door. "We've been waiting for you at the dance!"

Tae glanced at your attire and swallowed hard. Your dress was pretty-- a nice shade of green that suddenly became his favourite. Your hair looked nice too, even if you hadn't seemed to have done much with it.

"Oh."

"What do you mean, oh? Did you forget?"

Taehyung shrugged and turned back to his math worksheet. "I didn't have a date," he mumbled. "Who goes to a Valentine's day dance without a date?"

"You! To hang out with us!" Jinin threw his arms up in the air as if to prove a point. You walked closer to Tae and leaned against the desk. He glanced up at you. Jimin continued. "You should've still come, dude."

"I could've been your date, silly," you laughed. 

Tae's eyes flicked to you quickly. "But you went with Jimin."