Chapter 28

The soft noise of rain filled the mud-smelling air, Jeongguk leaning against the wall of the older's balcony, hands buried deep in his pockets, eyes affixed into the dark of the night. Goosebumps rose over his arms due to the cold wind brushing past him in a breeze. His thin clothing unable to fight against the cold wind. However, the younger remained still, unbothered by the freezing air pricking his skin, seemingly in a daze.

A small figure approached him with inaudible steps, that went unnoticed by him, forehead creasing at the male's absent state. Jeongguk felt a tug on the hem of his hoodie, causing him to glance down at the scowling boy, "What are you doing here, bunny?"

The male then straightened his back, shivering slightly due to the gust of wind that blew past him. His eyes flickered to the darkening sky for a moment before meeting the boy's puzzled stare, lifting an innocent shoulder, "I was. . just about to get in. Why're you here, angel? It's cold."

"I couldn't sleep without you..." The five year old mumbled, making grabby hands towards the other's direction, lips shaping to an adorable pout. A side of Jeongguk's lips quirked up as  he lifted the boy in his arms, scrunching his nose slightly as an adorable smile crept up to his princess lips. He then leaned in, softly brushing his nose against the boy's round cheeks who glanced out of the balcony, "Its raining."

Jeongguk simply hummed in return, turning towards the gloomy sky ahead of him, pursing his lips as he watched the streets get washed away by the downpour. Minjun then flickered his gaze towards the night sky, a thought soon bubbling up inside of him.

"Ggukie, can someone be a star?"

This had the ravenette turning to him and meeting his bright doe-like eyes, brows knitting at the sudden question, as he tilted his head slightly. "Yeah, like a celebrity?"

"No. . . A star in the sky,"

His frown deepened, a quizzical look evident in his gaze, "Uh. . No, that's not possible, why?"

A distraught look then settled on the boy's face, feeling deeply saddened and hurt by the fact that his father might've lied to him, which only perplexed Jeongguk further. Minjun pouted, tears clinging onto his orbs, "Dada said my mommy is a star. H-He lied to me..."

Jeongguk's eyes softened at the boy's words, the frown still evident on his face as he stared at the boy for a moment, before shifting his gaze towards the sky— that had now cleared up, the downpour eventually slowing to slight drizzling. The look of utter bewilderment then dissipated to a melancholic look, once the realisation dawned upon him. He then moved his eyes to the sniffling boy, who had his gaze lowered with teary eyes.

"Hey, hey, don't cry, little angel. Your dada didn't lie to you. She's truly a star." This had the boy darting his teary doe eyes towards him, a glint of hope sparkling within his onyx orbs, his lips shaped in a crestfallen pout, "Really?"

"Of course, you see? she's the brightest star." Jeongguk pointed to the stars in the sky, looking back at the boy who gazed towards the scintillating stars, the downpour eventually coming to an end, tranquillity embracing the atmosphere once again. "She loves you, you wouldn't want to make her sad, right?"

The boy shifted his watery doe orbs at him, shaking his head softly to his question. A saddened smile then tugged at the male's lips as he lifted his hand, wiping away the tears rolling down the boy's cheeks with his thumb, his voice soft and utterly soothing, "Then don't cry. . . it'll only make her sad."

Minjun simply stared at him for a moment, lips twitching slightly as  he then averted his gaze towards the sky, a thoughtful expression appearing on his face, "My mommy is an angel. . ." His forehead creased as he reminisced his father's words. "Which means she has wings and a halo and she can fly too. But if I'm angel, why don't I?"