XXXVIII

Link and Ganondorf sat on the path to Zonai Refuge. They were taking a break for the time being to recuperate and get some energy for the final trial in the Spectral Kingdom.

"What do you think the edge of the kingdom will be like?" Ganondorf asked.

"I don't know. Probably just a big wall of the rest of the underground." Link guessed uncertainly.

Ganondorf hummed in thought. "Well, I suppose you are right. But I remember hearing King Zyphos say that they had to protect from other invading kingdoms down here."

The hero was silent as he thought about the possibilities of there being other underground kingdoms.

"It's a possibility. But we don't know where these kingdoms are unfortunately." the boy answered finally.

"I guess so." Ganondorf said.

Hylia and Zelda started running towards them.

"Link, you're back!" Zelda gasped.

Link shrugged, immediately returning to his usual silent self. He didn't like talking still. While he was used to talking to Ganondorf and the heroes, he still preferred to stay silent.

"We still have to go to Azbok's Rest to get Farore's Flame for the Golden Crystal." Ganondorf said instead of Link.

Zelda raised an eyebrow at Ganondorf. "The... Golden Crystal?" she inquired. "Link? What is he talking about?"

Link pulled put the Golden Crystal, which was formerly the Zonai Crystal.

"Oh, my... so you got the crystal and now you have to upgrade it to gain its full power. Amazing, I should take notes about this when we return to Hyrule. I would love it if you could assist me in such notes." she hinted hopefully.

Link smiled and nodded. He missed his former friend, the princess who loved research and making observations. It had been years since Zelda had done any sort of research on anything. Nor had she been very close to Link lately. It was refreshing to see such liveliness from Zelda.

"Thank you so much, Link! We could make all sorts of discoveries with this kind of research!" Zelda exclaimed excitedly.

Hylia stepped forward and led Link to an area out of earshot from Ganondorf and Zelda. They stepped in a small forest of glowing trees.

"Hello, Link. How have you fared thus far on your trials?" Hylia asked.

"I have dealt with the issues at Highreach Ruins and the Buried Necropolis. Me and Ganondorf are going to leave for Azbok's Rest the day after tomorrow." Link informed the goddess.

Hylia nodded. "I see. So Ganondorf said something about flames. Specifically Farore's Flame." she inquired.

"Yes. At each of the towns, there is a center of threat to the towns. I named two we have already visited before. I now wield Din's Flame and Nayru's Flame." the hero answered calmly.

"Excellent. Soon, you will be able to take on Valoria with the power you are gaining." she congratulated in amazement.

"Of course," Link sighed. "However, I feel that we are losing time. Valoria is gaining strength as we speak. Must we delay any longer, Hyrule may fall to his corruption." he fretted.

Hylia looked out into the forest and contemplated her next words. "Fair enough. If you feel so, we should hurry back to Zonai Refuge so you and the Gerudo King may rest." she suggested finally.

Link nodded and they returned to Ganondorf and Zelda. They were both packing up the items that the Gerudo man and the hero were carrying along with them.

"Hey, Link." Ganondorf smiled. The few breaks Link and Ganondorf got in between trips had brought them closer together.

Link waved back to Ganondorf with a smile. Ganondorf helped the hero put his things in the usual pattern the king put it in and they began walking back to the capitol of the Spectral Kingdom.

-----

The town was busy today with citizens rushing to the market for lunch or hurrying to work. A few guards were seen browsing the wares and shopping.

Hylia and Zelda went ahead to the castle while Ganondorf and Link walked through the town. This time, they were holding hands.

They found a guard at one of the wares talking to one of the merchants. Ganondorf led Link secretly behind a house that was near the merchant and guard.

"I only have twenty-three rupees and my platoon needs eight of these." the guard said.

"Sorry, guard. I need money for my family in Rem Village." the Parella man said from his perch on the stool.

"I may lose my job and possibly a lot of money if I do not get this done. My platoon hates me and will get me by any means fired." the guard pleaded.

"There are other wares selling food at cheaper prices than the twenty-three rupees you carry. I'm sorry, sir, but I cannot sell you these at a discount. It will not be good for my business and income because most of my customers are guards." the Parella refused.

Link looked at Ganondorf. They both nodded and stepped out. They walked towards the guard.

"Excuse me, what's the issue?" Link asked.

"This guard wants me to discount him or else he might get fired because his platoon is quote-on-quote very devious and conniving." the Parella answered skeptically.

"I need eight of these glow cakes for my platoon. They have gotten me in trouble for their reckless antics several times. If I don't get these, they will blame me for the shortage of food in our platoon due to their overeating lately." the guard explained desperately.

Link looked at Ganondorf again. The hero reached into his pocket and pulled out two gold rupees. He gave them to the guard, who was shocked.

"Take these. Spend them wisely. I will talk to the king about your platoon and see if I can talk him into moving you into a different platoon." Link offered.

"Who- who are you? You don't look like anyone familiar except the Skyloftians. But you aren't wearing their traditional clothing." the guard asked in amazement.

"I'm Link. This is my boyfriend, Ganondorf," Link noticed Ganondorf gasp slightly. "We are from Hyrule and we are the next heroes. If you don't believe me, feel free to come visit me at the castle tomorrow."

The guard nodded. "Of course. Thank you so much. I owe you a lot."

"You owe me nothing." Link responded.

Ganondorf and Link walked away towards the castle. And of course, the Gerudo king noticed Link's exact words when the hero was referring to him.

"Did you really mean it?" Ganondorf asked excitedly.

"Mean what?" Link asked.

"Are we- do you want us to be a thing? You referred to me as your boyfriend and I just want to know if it was for simpli-" Ganondorf was shushed by the hero.

"I meant it. I really like you a lot and I want to have a life where I can actually feel content. And I feel content with you." Link promised reassuringly.

Ganondorf smiled and kneeled down to kiss Link on the lips. They walked towards the castle in silence. However inside, they were both excited and ready for anything.

Link was ready for the battle with Valoria.