VIII

The entire Hyrulean council was gathered in the Sanctum of Hyrule Castle. The council included Revali and Teba, Urbosa and Riju, Mipha and Sidon, Yunobo and Daruk, Hestu, Impa, and Link.

"King Zyphos... decided to visit once again. He deduced that perhaps we could arrange peace between the Spectral Kingdom and Hyrule Kingdom. We have decided that we should have the vote left upon our councils. So out of 17 individuals, we need at least 9 people to vote for peace. So let us start discussing the matter." Zelda nodded thoughtfully. She looked off into the distance as if thinking about something.

A/N: Every person who did socratic seminars knows how this feels XD especially me with my awkwardness.

Everyone stood around looking at each other, the awkwardness growing by the moment. Zelda finally returned from space and looked at the people gathered below her.

"Perhaps I should have been more specific. I would like you lot to decide amongst yourselves for peace or neutrality with the Spectrals." Zelda clarified.

"I don't know. Having an ally would seem to only add to the burden of your kingdom. You had to worry about keeping them. I don't know about this Spectral Kingdom but I don't like the sounds of it." Revali said confidently.

"I am with Revali. Peace with a king that came into existence in Hyrule all of a sudden doesn't sound wise." Teba agreed.

"I disagree. If we can avoid any other wars, I say we try to make peace with the Zyphos. Not only that, but we could call upon them if we are caught in conflict." Mipha offered quietly.

"The Zora princess has a point. Hyrule could become much stronger with foreign forces." Urbosa said calmly. "Denying a peace offering from the king of the Zonai could prompt them into war which puts Hyrule at greater risk, considering we just stopped the Calamity not long ago." Riju nodded. That solidified the Gerudo vote for peace. The Rito were set against peace.

"Peace sounds good and all, but what if the Spectral Kingdom decides to go to war with us anyways? And what if they have... dogs." Daruk shuddered. "Nope, I don't know about peace."

Link listened to all of the other opinions offered and some of Revali's counters to each opinion. Finally, Sidon cleared his throat and Link listened carefully to hear the Zora prince's words. Whatever Sidon chose, Link wouldn't be far behind him.

"Everyone has equally valid and decent opinions, but have we not discussed what they are capable of? We have a piece of their magic sitting in our midst. Just the discoveries of their magic alone could spell either disaster if we refuse their gestures of peace or a stronger kingdom if we welcome them to our forces. I also hear that the Aygi Clan has begun to spread across Hyrule. There was an ambush near Zora's Domain on one of our outposts. We could rely on the Zonai and other races for their strength to help fight against the Aygi." Sidon finished. He nodded his head and looked around.

"Convincing. Surprisingly, I don't know how to argue against Sidon." Teba admitted. "I'm with the Zora prince. Let's welcome them."

Queen Zelda turned to Impa and Link. "You two, attend, please."

"Your Majesty, Sidon serves a well-stated argument. But the ancient Sheikah weapons such as the Guardians were taken over by the Calamity. Why should we not believe that Zonai technology can't be done the same way? They could also easily take over the kingdom with their capabilities." Impa proposed outwardly.

Link looked at Sidon, Sidon looked back. Link nodded meaningfully. Sidon grinned. The Hylian looked at the queen and nodded.

"The Zora and Gerudo are in support of peace. The Rito and Gorons are half-in-half. Impa is against and Link is supportive of. That leaves it at seven to three, Your Majesty." Karu, Zelda's royal guard, confirmed.

"My apologies to Revali, Daruk, and Impa, but I have made my decision. I will meet with Zyphos next week to reach peace." Zelda decided. She stood up from her throne and Rhoam watched approvingly. "You are dismissed."

Everyone left the sanctum in quiet whispers about the meeting. Sidon walked up beside Link.

"Hey, Link. That meeting was a little tense, wasn't it?" Sidon asked while looking out at Hyrule Field below the castle.

Link nodded subtly and Sidon led them to a small shady spot beneath a tree. They sat in silence while they listened to the wind rustling the leaves above them and the distant hum of business in Castle Town.

"The weather sure is beautiful today." the Zora finally said.

"Yeah." Link answered quietly. "I like the wind today."

"Me, too. It feels soft and quiet." Sidon pulled Link into his side and kept his arm around him.

"Sidon?" Link asked.

"Yeah, Link?"

"You said that I could talk to you about anything, right?" Link grimaced at how much that sentence alone made his throat burn.

"Yeah, of course. What is it?" The Zora prince looked down at the Hylian commander.

"If I had a crush on you," Link paused for a moment. "would you let me down gently or would you make an attempt at a relationship?"

Sidon's eyes widened and his speech disappeared. "I, uh... um, you know, I never really thought about, uh, that. Wow, uh, what a good question."

"Oh. Okay, I guess. Forget I said anything." Link stood up and walked down the path towards the gatehouses and beyond that, Castle Town.

But before Link was out of eatshot, he heard Sidon say, "Was it something I said? Did I lose my only chance with him?"

Link had a feeling that he and Sidon might be spending more time together.

-----

Link was up the entire night in his bedroom studying. He didn't realize that someone was standing in his doorway. Until they cleared their throat.

Link whirled around. The Hero of the Skies was standing there.

"Staying up this late can't possibly be good for you. You should sleep." he said bluntly.

"I can't. There is too much to do to learn everything about this thing." Link groaned exhaustedly. "And the queen expects me to have a full report about its offensive functions by next week. Then she plans to send me and a group of Yiga assassins to help deal with the Aygi Clan attacks that have been reported around the Great Plateau." He made a face at his situation and how impossibly cluttered his life was right now.

"The queen most of all should understand how stressful this can be for you. Her father pushed her near to her breaking point before her powers awakened. You don't look very far from it yourself. Go to sleep." the Skyloftian put a hand on Link's shoulder and looked at him hopefully.

Link sighed. "Fine. Send my regards to the Hero of Time for me."

"Will do. Good night, hero." Skyloftian Link walked downstairs and Link heard his front door close as the Hero of the Skies left.