{9}

ACE

The leaves under my foot continually crunched as I ran over them, slightly stumbling every now and then due to my blurry vision. 

My left eye was all swollen while my right eye could barley open thanks to the repeated punches my father delivered to it.

There was nothing I could do to stop his beatings. If I tried to block or avoid his hits he would just hurt me even more, so I just stood there and took it.

My father didn't care about me being his twelve year old son. He would still ruthlessly beat me like he would beat his men or servants if they did something wrong. The only difference would be that I never did anything wrong.

I always craved for my fathers acceptance, yet I never got any. No matter what I did to try and make my father proud, it would always end up the same in the end. With me beaten and bloody.

My throat was throbbing from the cold air that was passing through my lungs. I was shirtless and barefoot, running through the dark snowy woods. I could barley feel my feat and my ears due to the cold, but I didn't let that stop me because I knew that if I stopped for even a second, then I would be caught and punished.

I heard my father's hunting dogs barking in the distance with multiple heavy footsteps behind them.

No! they're catching up! I have to run faster!

I urged myself to run faster even though I could barley breath. Just when I thought I had finally reached the exit to the woods, I lost my footing and ended up rolling down a snowy hill.

I felt myself hit something hard and my head suddenly erupted in aching pain. I willed myself to get up and continue running, but not only did my body give up on me, but so did my mind. Everything went blank. Like an unpainted canvas.

Seconds later, I felt myself being carried and dragged. I knew I was caught and that I should try to fight back, yet I still couldn't. I couldn't move. I could do nothing but let the darkness pull me away.

My eyes shot open at the sound of my alarm. The blaring noise pulling me out of my nightmare.

I frustratingly turned the god-awful sound off and sat up rubbing my eyes to adjust to the sunlight that was flowing into my large bedroom through the widows.

I huffed out in annoyance.

Another nightmare, or more like bad memories making their way into my dreams. I had them so often that I was almost getting used to them.

I looked at my phone to make sure that I have enough time to take a quick shower.

I slowly got out of bed and made my way into my bathroom. Almost everything in it was made out of black and gold granite. Just how I like it. Black, with just a little speck of color. 

My room was the same too. 

I quickly finished up my shower then went ahead and got dressed in black jeans and a plain grey shirt before heading downstairs to greet my mom and little sister who were having breakfast.

My mom took a sip of her coffee then looked up and smiled at me. "Good morning."

"Morning."

I leaned in and gave her a quick kiss on her head then moved to the other side to do the same thing to my sister who was busy finishing up her sandwich.

"Your not going to school today?" My mom asked as I went over to make me coffee as well.

"No. Dad sent my group and I to go check out the new training facility and see how the new members are doing."