Chapter-37

******
~Nova~

It's the night before the surgery. I don't have any words or opinion about tomorrow. Doctor knows that I won't survive. Ivaan isn't ready to believe it yet and I know that the pain and my condition is getting worse. I am just happy because I am able to walk and take care of Ryan and Sophia.

They are the world to me including Ivaan. Since these past years I've just taught the three of them to be independent. I've not helped them with any of their work, I just stand by their side. Ryan knows how to take care of his sister. He is eleven now. Still a kid but is mature enough. He has already thought of a future without me.

Well Sophia. She doesn't even know what's going around. I would've never adopted her if I hadn't found her struggling with life. I had seen my childhood in her the first day I saw her.

It was another routine check up where I had went to the hospital with Ivaan, where this little bubble was sitting at the corner of the hospital, crying so hard because her eye had been screwed by a compass by a notorious boy of her street gang. She was an orphan since birth and she used to beg on roads with other children just to have a ome time meal every day.

That one day, as she had told me, a boy of her gang had asked her for the money that she had received after begging, and on refusing he punched the compass inside her eyes.

It was dreadful to see her that day, her tiny hands covered with blood and no one to sign up the form to admit her. Ivaan did a good job to admit her in the hospital filling all the formalities.

It was hard to pay the operation fee but somehow we managed to do it, and now she's here, sleeping by my side, with a stich mark just above her eyes to depict the struggle that she had faced since childhood.

After legally adopting her as a daughter, Ryan had been happiest since ever. He does everything to make her sister feel proud that she has such a wonderful brother.

"I don't know how will they plan to survive without me", I thought caressing Ryan's forehead while he was in his deep slumber.

"May I come inside?", I heard mom standing at the door with teary eyes.

I don't understand why she pretends to cry all the time. Though I feel pity for her but still I just can't accept her as my mother. Not now.

Not after she has done so much to me.

"Hmm", I nodded at her direction.

"Do you want something? I'll make it for you", I told her while she sat beside me.

"Are you stressed?", she asked me and I didn't know what to tell her.

To tell her that ya I have already been dealing with a lot and I don't want you to sympathise with me and tell me that things will be fine, even when you know that there's no way that they'll be fine.

I wanted to tell her that after her being ap distant with me for all these years she cannot expect me to be happy and behave nice that finally she's back. Because she wasn't there when I needed her the most.

"What do you have to do with it?", I snapped at her trying to keep my volume low as Ryan and Sophia were sleeping.

"I was just tensed.."

"Oh! You were tensed? Tensed for what? Why are you pretending mom? Just show your real self to me. You haven't ever thought about me even once iny life time. You don't even know anything about me. You haven't ever been concerned as to how my life is going and now.. Now that your husband has expired and you have no one by your side, you suddenly want a good mother-daughter relationship with me?", I cut her off in the middle of her rant.

"I don't want anything from you Nova. I have always loved you.", she told me in her feeble voice.

"Have you? I never felt it mom. Ivaan loves me, I can feel it. Ryan and Sophia love me, I can feel it. Why wasn't I able to feel your love? Could you please elaborate.", I snapped at her with the harshest tone possible.

I was definitely pissed with her. I ain't carrying on with her tantrums.

"I haven't come here to tell you that everything will be fine. I know that there are many things bothering you at this moment and I am not even expecting you to love me as a mother. I know I don't deserve all this", she said and tears started flowing down her eyes.

It was just right now that I wished my heart was made of stone but it was just like the others and I melted down on seeing her tears.

I would never accept her as my mother but I don't want to hurt her in anyway, especially when she hasn't yet overcome the trauma of father's death.

"I am fine. You don't need to cry.", I assured her and she held my hand in hers.

"Don't expect that I'll treat you as my mother. You very well know that you don't deserve it. If there's anything else that I can do for you then I'll be willing to do it", I said.

"Will you let me massage your hair?", she asked me in her almost puppy like voice, wiping away the tears in her eyes.

"What? Why on earth do you want to do that mom. I just told you that you shouldn't expect me to behave like a daughter.", I told her trying to sound as calm as I could.

"That's the only thing that I want to do for you. I assure you that I won't ask you to do anything for me after this. I won't even force you. Just for the first and last time. PLEASE", she said and I unwillingly approved of it.

"Get some oil.", she told me and I sat down at her feet, while she applied the oil all over the roots of my head. Massaging every corner with her wrinkled hands.

The effect was so soothing that I just felt to cuddle in her lap and dose of to sleep but I chose not do it at all and let the feeling seep deep inside me. In no time I was relieved of all my stress and it definitely felt like heaven.

_________

I hope you like the chapter. Don't forget to comment your views about Nova and Brenda.

Another chapter is up. Swipe to have a look at it.