Chapter 13

September, 2003.

The ambulance siren was loud enough to make everyone, within the radii of 5m, to look our way.

Margon and myself were sitting at the back of the ambulance, while Saif was lying on the strecher. Ivaan had been handeling the situation very well since the morning. I could see him sitting in the front seat with the driver of the ambulance, trying to get a hold on the situation.

It was 4 am, when I received a call from Ivaan, I was hardly in my senses then, but as soon as I heard the news, I couldn't stop myself from sneaking out of my room, to where Ivaan was.

I had already known that Saif's body isn't immune enough to fight against severe infections and the diseases he had been suffering from. Acute phyleonephritis, Angina pectoris and severe anxiety attacks can seriously define Saif's dealings, but nobody knew that this one night, Saif would have us all down on our knees, with our hands our hearts, praying that he could make it out alive.

"Saif's kidney had failed last night." Ivaan had mumbled.

It wasn't the most dreadful news, but seeing someone close dying in pain would melt anybody's heart.

I could see Margon's tear rimmed eyes, everytime Saif would cry out in pain. Ivaan's voice had been sore since morning, as if the tears had blocked his throat.

I never wished to be here, I never wanted Saif to be in this situation. This was all too much, I was just hoping that with a start, anytime now, I wake up in my room, and everything goes back to how it used to be. Like the nightmare which is meant to be forgotten.

My heart was thumping loud, my brain was a mess with millions of thoughts, I couldn't find any answer to, I wasn't even sure if I had enough air in my lungs. Anything could happen to Saif at any moment.

Everything seemed so out of place, so chaotic. I could see Margon holding Saif's hand, clutching onto him like he would disappear into thin air. Then I looked at Saif, lying unconscious, with all these machines trying to bring him back to life. This cannot be the same Saif, who was always looking after us, as if he was the mom of the group.

I cried silently, remembering the wonder in his now pale eyes, that used to light up when he talked about his dreams, the responsibility on his shoulders, which he was ready to carry with grace.

I didn't want to lose him, how could he leave us behind, how could he leave his family behind, left with nothing but tears to console their grief.

I remember how Saif, Margon and Ivaan had been my only real family, and I'd fight death for them, even if it meant moving mountains, or bringing the impossible into my existence.

My blood family couldn't care any less about me. But these people were my soul family, I felt accepted around them, I felt appreciated.

They made me feel safe.

We've had so many life experiences together, like the true best friends, we had always been. We've come a long way from playing hide and seek, cricket, and ofcourse how could I forget how Saif got offended when it was Ivaan's turn for batting. I smile thinking about how we teased each other by the name of our exes. We've cried together when India lost the world Cup. We've cooked all the 3 ingredient recipies from youtube, and almost set the kitchen stove on fire, which also involved, the potato dish we made for an exchange of Ivaan's distorted dslr.

The ambulance had been gaining speed, but each passing second seemed like an year to us.

My mind couldn't stop itself from recalling, all the memories that we had made together. Especially that one time 'the serious Saif' had pulled a massive prank on us, just so he could have Ivaan and myself at the same place at the same time, so that Ivaan and myself could reconcile after our petty fight.

How I wish, this is one of those pranks, but instead it was our reality, none of us were ready to face it...but here we were fighting death just to have a warm smile replaced on Saif's cold lips.

I remember the day we had gone to a resort where Margon and Saif had held my legs and Ivaan had held my hands, and how my body stretched itself to fall in the vast swimming pool, where I didn't even know how to swim, later that day we had a good laugh recalling how I looked like a crow soaked in rain.

I could feel tears trail down my cheeks.

I didn't want Saif to loose hope. I didn't want Saif to leave us that way. I had to be strong for him, for all of us... cause I didn't want to believe anything, that would bring our worst nightmare true.

We entered the entrance to the hospital. We had already decided that I'll fill the formalities and by the time Morgon and Ivaan could lead Saif to the emergency ward with the medical staff.

It was already 7 in the morning. Uncle David must have gotten up from sleep, I thought. I had seen him snoring with Aunt Helen's photo frame clutched to his chest, guarded by his arms. I knew he had been missing her and this wasn't the first time I'd seen him sleeping like a baby. He always does that, if not with my Aunt's picture frame, then with the only photograph he had of his baby, an ultrasound report. Though he will never let his soft side be seen but only I know how he's hurting deep down everyday.

"The doctors have asked for a kidney donor as soon as possible, we have to look for a match", said Margon.

The doctors had been conducting tests for finding Saif's right match. Saif's only sister, Nisha, had decided to donate her kidney for the life of her younger brother.

Nisha, had been married and was seperated two years back. Her only family was Saif and that was the reason that she didn't even think once before successfully signing as a donor for Saif's kidney.

The operation theatre was ready. Saif's face was contoured in pain, I was wondering if this was the last time that we were seeing him, but I  wouldn't let myself give up on my hope, until he's back, safe .

Ivaan, was more than hopeful , he had a serene smile on his face, like he was applauding Saif, for the strength he showed, like he knew it's time for all his problems to be solved once and for all.

Nisha had been sent in first for the operation, as she was the donor. Ivaan had given her a slight nod, before she had entered the operation theatre, as if assuring her that all will go well. Saif's parents were sitting with us in the waiting room, seeing their one child almost on the verge of leaving everything behind, and the other one, battling death for saving his brother's life.

His mom had been praying since the moment Nisha had been admitted for the surgery, his dad on the other hand had a hollow look on his face, trying to hold on to the reality. Ivaan, I was proud of him, despite of everything that was happening, he didn't forget his duties as a friend, and had been looking after us, ever since the moment we left in the morning.

I knew it was hard for him to show his smile even when he was afraid from inside. He was too good at hiding feelings and everybody knew that.

Morgon had always been a sensitive person, he had been crying since morning, I don't blame him, it had been hard for all of us.

It was funny how everything had been completely normal  up until yesterday, who knew maybe this was it...maybe afterall it's only a matter of time.

I remember my mom once telling me, 'Nova,Certain things are out of our control'.

I hadn't understood her then, but now it makes complete sense.

_____

Your votes matter for Saif's health.