Chapter 14

"Nova, my child, where are you. What's wrong with you?... we haven't ever taught you to sneak out of the house, you know your uncle right? he won't forgive you for this. Go rush home, he must be waiting for you.", she said in a worried tone.

I must have scared her about my whereabouts. I rolled my eyes, and started speaking.

"Mom now is not the time, I'll call you later?", I tried to cut the call but she had a say in this, ofcourse.

"Nova, what is going on? You have been acting so difficult these days. What has gotten into you", her voice was broken.

I closed my eyes and saw her disapointed face. I missed her truly, but she cannot play the blame game, clearly when she never cared enough anyway.

"Mom, if I had told uncle that I have to go somewhere at 5 am, do you think that he would have allowed me. Yea I get, its not the most suitable time. But I didn't have the time to stay back and explain him.", I softly explained her.

It had been a long night, I didn't want to take it out all on her, but I was sick of her acting like she had always been there, especially when she decided to send me to my uncle's house, and set unrealistic standards for me to accomplish. I walked out of the waiting room, took a deep breath and continued.

My voice raw, like it was a daughter talking to her mom, "I know you never taught me to sneak out, but mom.....when have you ever stayed back, with me, and taught me anything?", I paused, and took another deep breath,and continued.

"It was uncle who has always been by my side since childhood, you and dad never valued the responsibility of your parenthood, just left me to die at the mercy of a murderer. You never understood how much I missed you. When I was a child and I used to see other children coming home with their parents, their mother, caressing them, kissing their forehead, settling their small tie to perfection, you on the other hand were buzy with your business meetings and uncle was never kind enough to take care of me. It was me alone, against the world. It was me who had to raise myself up, all on my own. I felt the absence of a motherly figure in my life always. But you never cared.", I felt so bitter thinking about all those times.

I wish I could have her by my side, but it was always me, had always been me.

I could never show her how much I loved her and how much I missed her presence, ever since she left my side . I don't consider my emotions to be wrong. Inspite of whatever they have done for me, I cannot forget the fact that they left me with when I needed them the most.

I could have died that day, but they didn't care. I also deserved the love which is given to a child by their parents, I  didn't choose to be brought into a family, where family was merely blood, and nothing more.

Their business had always been more important to them, than their one and only child  but I had already decided that I won't ever live upto their expectations, how could I? I wasn't who they wanted me to be, and I probably won't ever be.

I had a scarred childhood, and it was never going to be healed, especially not until I left these strangers in the face of my family behind.

I wish they could come back to me, and take me away with them, and we live like a  happy family which I always deserved, but damage had been done, and it was irreversible.

That's the only reason why I considered Ivaan, Margon and Saif to be my only family. Atleast the tag of 'family', didn't weight on me, like an ancestral debt, with no way out.

"Nova, now is not the time to bring up past stories which do not affect us in the present. Whatever the situation was, you shouldn't have left without saying anything. Go home now." She said with disappointment, and guilt? I don't know, I was too numb to feel anything.

But I wasn't going to leave, I won't choose anything that doesn't serve my best.

"No Mom, my friend is seriously ill and I cannot afford to leave his side at this time of crisis, please don't force me to do something you know I won't ever do." Before she could add anything, I softly said, "Maa, I love you, but please don't call me again, it's the best for the both of us." I said and switched off my cell phone.

I could feel my heart going numb with the pain of the past. Some feelings don't ever really go, this was one of them. I could feel the rage building inside of me, but it was mostly because of all the hurt, of not being understood, of never having a secure family support, of never having a happy childhood.

I just couldn't  take more of my family matters at the hospital now. I washed my face at the hospital restrooms, and stared at my reflection.

"Someday, it will all make sense" I told myself and moved out of the restroom, when I saw Ivaan walking towards me.

He started picking up his pace when I saw David uncle behind him , his contacts were enough to find me anywhere across the globe. It was all to much at once, but mostly it was anger.

I was already prepared for, what was coming next.

____

How do you think Uncle David will react to her sneak out?