Chapter 21

September, 2004

The realisation of seperation had dawned upon me quite late. My board result was exceptionally good given the amount of hard work I had put in. I was quite content, so were mum dad and Ivaan.

I was celebrating with my friends and having the best time of my life when a phone call from mum had completely changed my life into something which I could only dream of.

"The university of Finland?" I had asked in utter shock.

"Yes, the college of your dreams?" She said like a proud mum.

I remember telling her once that I wanted to join the university of Finland. What I hadn't expected was that she not only remembered something as random as this, but she had already sent in my documents and applied for my admission.

My name was in the first waiting list.

"You know sweetie I haven't had my chance to prove myself as a good mother to you. But you never let that effect your dreams and things that you were passionate about. Your father and I couldn't be more proud of how far you've come. This is the least I can do for you"

There was a pause on the other side and then,

"I hope you can forgive us." she sounded absolutely broken.

I was too shocked to say anything either, so I just reassured her that her trying to be there for me, makes my heart warm.

It truly did.

Our thought processes were way different. But her atleast trying and hoping to meet me at some point, made me feel recognised and noticed.

A few days later when I recieved the letter of acceptance from the College of my dreams I knew my life would change forever.

And I mean it in the best way possible....possibly the worst too.

I had to leave Ivaan behind . He wasn't supposed to come with me.

How could he? He had his own career and I couldn't risk it just yet. And that's when it hit me, it was never going to be how it used be. We were all changing. But it wasn't known yet if it was for the best or the worst.

"I'll be missing you.", I had told him before leaving and he just nodded.

I could sense that his chest was heavy, but I knew he wouldn't tell me to stay here.

He wanted me to become successful. That's what he had dreamt about me.

"I'll be coming to meet you soon.", is all that he had said and I realised how far we could go from each other.

I had moved far away from him. To some different country. Among totally different people. Far away from home. And further away from us. Although the University in Finland had been my second home, I loved everything about this place.

Once in a year during my mid term vacations I used to come back to India

Our relationship wasn't all sunshines and rainbows anymore. I had developed some really deep seated insecurities too, and at times when he didn't attend my calls it just worsened.

It had only been a few months now that I had moved out, and it didn't really take an 'Einstein' to notice that everything had been changing.  He  was always busy during the days, switching between assignments  and  Saif's deteriorating health.

He barely had any time for himself let alone for me,and I completely understand. It's just a lot at once, hopefully this doesn't effect us in the long run too.