Normalcy.

Ava's POV

Everything was strange. Weird. I couldn't think the same. I was dead. And that was what had been going on repeat in my head. There was no light at the end of the tunnel for me. When I felt myself being detached from everything. Everyone, I didn't feel myself crossing a tunnel of darkness, at the end of which there was supposed to be endless light.

It was dark and nothing. I felt free. So light. Lighter than a feather. I didn't think of anyone or anything in that moment. Nothing mattered at all. I was detached from the world. From the relations. From the pain and everything that came with it. I was just a soul floating in an endless pit of darkness. I didn't care, perhaps that's why I felt so free. So light.

But then I was thrust back into the physical body and I wanted to be there. I wanted to stay a little longer in this world and experience some things which I had never done before. I wanted to stay because of my family and friends. And Kayden. I had to tell him what I felt about him.

But I didn't. When I woke up, I didn't. When I came back home with him, I didn't. When he stayed with me during most of the days, I didn't. For some godforsaken reason I was waiting for a time. The right time to tell him.

It wouldn't matter if he didn't feel the same. It wouldn't matter if he wanted to leave me after that. I'd be satisfied that I told him. That I made sure he knew that no matter where he went there will always be a girl crazy in love with him.

I had been sleeping between mamma and papa, as requested by them. I wasn't third wheeling. I was just on bed rest and they thought that the safest place for that would be their room. Though I had the option to go to my own room as well, but I didn't. What better than to stay and receive all the love from your parents?

It was my birthday today. I turn 18. Finally.

The cast was removed from my hand, and my ankle was completely healed. Apart from a few bruises on me, there was nothing else. No sign of the brutality. Papa and mamma were surprised. But I convinced them that the doctor must've made a mistake. It took some manipulation from Harry's part too. But everything was as close to normal as it could be.

Mamma had chosen a beautiful black dress from me. And papa had picked out the jewellery. For the first time, in all of my life we were celebrating my birthday with someone else as well.

All my friends and their families were going to be present. I had been well aquatinted with all of their families but I was closest to Kayden and Clayton's. I was more than excited for the day. A whole week of planning, in secret by mamma and papa and the results were marvellous.

I walked down the stairs slowly in the birthday dress and black sandals. Suddenly I felt like the same little girl who would walk down the stairs with her tiny feet to show her papa the princess dress that she wore. Those sparkly red, yellow, blue, purple dress could never match the love and joy on papa's face when he looked at me. He would always laugh and stand at the end of the staircase while mamma would be concentrating on my steps so I wouldn't fall.

I noticed that nothing had changed. Papa's eyes we're still brighter than the diamonds I wore and mamma stood there noting my steps so I wouldn't trip in those heels. My smile too hadn't changed at all. Still the same broad grin, that almost covered all of my face.

On any normal day I would be ashamed of that grin, especially when I have an audience. But today was special. Today was my birthday and I was finally happy. I was home.

"That's my princess. You still look the same." Papa muttered softly as I placed my hand in his and hugged him tight. He gently kissed the crown of my head and nodded his own.