Chapter 37

"Let's finish our work with you too." I heard the amusement in the guy's voice.

He took a step towards me as the guy who held me tightened his arms around me but I wasn't bothered about them at all. I was starting at a lifeless body of Alec lying there on the ground.

I couldn't feel myself. I couldn't feel the air inside me as I felt like nothing. I felt nothingness as even if they hit me with their bats now... it wouldn't hurt me as much as it was tearing me to see the person I love laying unconscious because of me. For me.

No, Serene. It's not you. It's because of the bitch.

My eyes snapped upto her. She was standing at some distance with a face devoid of emotions.

"I hope you rot in hell before dying the worst way anyone could ever imagine."I spat at her. I had so much to curse her for but my mind was blank and fucked up as I felt my knees getting weaker and weaker.

"Alec," I squeaked, "Get up. We will get out."

I tried to reach for him but the guy jerked me and made me stand still and tall. The guy with the bat approached me with his crooked smile. I closed my eyes as I felt tears running down my cheeks.

No. They weren't the tears of fear. But the tears of my heart crying.

I waited for the bat to hit me too but I was surprised when nothing happened. I opened my eyes and noticed them frozen in their places their eyes wide.

"Do you hear it too?" The bitch asked from the distance with a hint of fear in her voice.

"RUN!" She screamed, "RUN OR WE WILL GET CAUGHT! FUCK, RUN YOU RETARDS! LEAVE HER!"

It was then that I heard the sirens getting louder and louder. The guys left us and ran away with the bitch. But I wasn't bothered about them at all right now.

I kneeled down and took Alec in my arms as I shook him.

"It's the police, Alec." I tried to smile but failed miserably, "Alec. Alec. We will be saved now. You will be saved." I cried as I looked around desperately searching for someone.

I watched as a silhouette came out from behind the trees. I still had Alec in my arms as I felt his blood covering my hands and where his head lay on me.

"Help us," I mumbled to the silhouette, "please."

I watched as it came closer to us— almost jogging towards us until their face was clear.

"Liya?" I said.

And truly, there she was hurrying her way towards us. She was the one who called the police? She saved us? She saw it?

"Yes. Yes to all your questions. Now, don't waste time we need to get him to the hospital. Henry and Max are coming in a minute. Take him to the hospital and I'll go and talk to the police for now."

"Thank you." I felt so gratitude towards her. I felt like becoming water and just cry in front of her but I controlled myself as I waited for Henry and Max which didn't take them long.

••••

I was sitting outside the ICU. I looked down at my feet and watched them shaking. I bit my lip before holding onto the seat tightly— making my knuckles white.

How long? How long will it take? I ran my hands through my hair pushing them away from my face in anxiety.

Henry and Max were taking care of all the hospital papers and bills while I sat here twisting in my own mind.

I watched a hand press down on my thigh. I looked sideways and saw Liya sitting there beside me with a concerned look on her face. I looked away from her and ran my eyes across the white outline of the door with the sign of 'ICU' on it.