Chapter 20

The beach. The beach. THE BEACH. WE WERE FINALLY ON THE BEACH.

I ran towards the sea. I could feel the sand underneath my feet still wet because of the rain which just stopped a while ago every time I took a step forward but it didn't matter. I could see the sea waiting for me, making sounds and trying to reach for me.

I felt a wave of relief pass through me the second the waves hit my ankles.

I looked back jumping happily and saw Alec walking towards me with a smile on his face. Even though it was night I could see his face in the moonlight.

The wind made his blonde hair blow away from his face while he put one of his hands in his pocket.

"Hurry up." I hurried him—motioning with my hands.

He laughed shaking his head. I ran back to him and taking him by his arms dragged him with me.

I was not letting him miss this fun.

"It's cold, isn't it?" I asked the moment both of our feet were touched with the small waves making their way.

"It is." He said holding my hand.

I could feel myself freezing as I felt his hands intervening with mine. I couldn't move my head to look at him. I was only looking ahead at the sea with the full moon.

The waves pulled back before coming back.

I could feel my heart beating fast against my chest. To get my attention off his hands which were wrapped around mine and the way they just felt warm I tried asking him a question.

"Why the beach?"

I could see him turning his head to look at me through my peripheral vision. I looked at him and found him looking at me intently.

"We could have gone anywhere. Why did you think of beach?" I elaborated.

He thought for a while before looking ahead. I could still feel the warmness of his hands as he said,

"Do you really want to know?"

Of course I did. Why would I ask him otherwise.

Using his other hand he pointed out into the vast stretch of sea. I looked at him confused. Then slowly he pointed his finger a little upwards.

He was pointing towards the horizon where the land and the sky met.

What about it?

"Look carefully." It was as if he read my mind, "After the rain stops and the dark clouds go away, this always remind me that there is still clearance. That it will not always be filled with dark clouds. They will go away once." He looked down at me with his oceanic blue eyes twinkling, "and when they do, the stars will come back to shine brighter. Just like now."

I couldn't remove my eyes from his. It was like he was holding me in a trance.

"The beach. The sea." His voice was soft, "It only makes them look more beautiful when they let the stars shine brighter once again in them."

I knew what he was talking about. I couldn't help but look ahead at the stars. He was right. They were shining brighter. Luminous. And pretty.

I sighed.

I saw Alec walking towards the sea. I looked at him confused before he bent down and took a handful of water in his hands. I was still watching him when it all happened suddenly.

He threw the water at me. In my face. Directly.

My mouth wide opened I stared at him. What the heck? All of a sudden?