Chapter 35

I got out of the cab and stood in front of the 'so' called venue where Xavier's birthday party was going to be held.

I was holding onto my heels and handbag in one hand and the bouquet of roses in the other. I wasn't even paying attention to all the fairy lights covering the area as I just went forward.

The party was being organised in the garden. Liya's garden.

As soon as I entered I met with Henry, Max and Brian who were blowing some balloons.

"Oh my god." Max said coming forward, "Here we haven't even completed the decorations and she is coming dressed up."

"She didn't know that we were arranging a party." Henry shook his head, "I gave her a call and called her. Of course, she came dressed up, you idiot."

"Good thing you weren't here, Serene." Brian muttered putting up a balloon, "Liya has been treating us as slaves for a few hours now. Why do we have to be slaves for her fiancé's birthday? Evie should learn something from her though... she just smashes cake on my face on my special day."

"I agree. Evelyn should be a little kinder." Max nodded.

Brian stopped what he was doing and glared at Max, "What are you trying to say? That she isn't kind?"

"I was j-"

"No. How dare you say Evie isn't kind. Come here," he ran after Max as Max kept on telling him that he didn't mean it.

Henry was laughing at the two of them until his eyes settled on me.

"What's wrong?" He asked, "You have been acting strange since I gave you the call. Is everything alright?"

"I need to see Alec," I mumbled.

I need to make sure with my own eyes that he was here. What if... he wasn't? What if he went to the date and doesn't find me? I need to see him.

I walked along the green spiked grass with bare feet. My eyes were straight ahead, without even looking around.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw her coming. Her face lit up as soon as she saw me,

"Serene! I have been trying your phone for a while now! It always went to the voicemail." She said.

I looked up at her through my lashes and didn't even twitch as she continued speaking, "I was about to invite you to Xavier's birthday party."

"Perhaps, I didn't pick up your call on purpose," I stated without any emotions in my voice.

Her mouth opened as she seemed at a loss for words. It hurt, didn't it? Imagine how hurt I was when I realised that you took my boyfriend away from me on my very first date. I sighed through my nose,

"Is Alec here?"

She nodded her head silently before pointing around the corner. I walked in the direction she pointed. Around the corner, as she had promised I saw him.

I sucked in a deep breath as I finally felt my heartbreaking. Until now, I was hoping it wasn't true but now seeing him in front of my eyes... there was no doubt that it was him.

I walked slowly towards him as I watched him adjusting the 'happy birthday' sign. He took a few steps backs to check it out from afar when he stepped on my feet.

He stumbled a little before quickly stepping away and apologising before turning around to face me.

The time had stopped as I watched him look at me without blinking and in confusion. His eyes travelled down to my bare feet and the heels in my hands.