Chapter 6

"I've been expecting you both. I can see by the looks on your faces that it is not cheerful news to you."

"Cheerful!?" Hermione squealed. "First of all, a marriage law? What is the Ministry thinking? Forcing witches and wizards together? And second--I'm sorry Professor-- but Snape?"

She felt her hands shaking, palms moist with sweat. Her breathing was ragged, a combination of running after Snape and the anxiety from receiving the news.

"And why the hell did the Prophet publish it before I was notified?" Hermione raised her voice once more, but fell quiet as she saw Professor McGonagall raise her eyebrows at her.

"Surprisingly, I am in agreeance with Miss Granger." Snape huffed, crossing his arms.

"The wizarding population has been low... It has been for years. But with the recent war, and the heightened fear sent through the people, the ministry decided it would be best. Raise spirits, bring about togetherness." McGonagall began, raising a hand towards Hermione as she opened her mouth in objection.

Hermione felt as if she couldn't breathe. Married... To Severus Snape? No! Her life would be ruined. Regardless of her previous and possibly continuing desire for him, she could not picture herself spending the rest of her life by his side. It was supposed to be Ronald.

"The list of matches were somehow given to the Prophet... A terrible mishandling of information," Professor McGonagall muttered, hands wringing at her torso. She sat herself down in an armchair, Hermione still breathing heavily. She felt hot, almost overheated. In the office, Hermione felt trapped, suffocated. Her chest heaved, and she moved to lean against a column.

"So... Were all matches this absurd? Or was there true logic in them?" Hermione questioned, hand at the back of her neck.

"Muggle-borns were matched with a purer-blood. Either half or pure," Snape interjected, face flat. "The Prophet reported that the matches were based on bloodline, intelligence, education level, and emotional compatibility."

"Emotional compatibility?" Hermione roared, pushing herself from the column. "What about the two of us is emotionally compatible!?"

"Lower your voice." Snape commanded, narrowing his eyes at the witch.

"How do we get out of it?"

McGonagall jerked her head up at Hermione, eyes wide.

"Get... out of it? Oh, my dear. You cannot... But it may only last a few years. The Ministry cannot continue this for ever."

"But they bloody did it in the first place." Snape grumbled.

"This would all explain why the students were staring at me during breakfast this morning..." Hermione thought out loud, blushing at her realization.

"Perhaps it was your hair," Snape stabbed at her, smirking. Hermione self-consciously smoothed her hair.

"At least mine's freshly washed." She responded, raising an eyebrow. The git fell silent and turned back to McGonagall.

"You will need to be married before the first of the month." The Headmistress uttered, eyes falling to the ground.

Before the end of the month... October would arrive next Friday... Less than a week! No. Hermione was not ready for this. It couldn't happen. She peeked at Snape, watching him standing calm across the room.

"How are you so calm!?" Hermione shouted, hands thrown out at her sides.

"I've been aware of this information for several hours... And I've read over the contract."