Chapter 21

The weeks continued to race by, the seasons changing to a cold and icy December. Hermione and Severus spent a large majority of their free time in the potions classroom, working on finding a clue. As the time drew closer and closer to Christmas, Hermione found herself growing restless. It pained her to see Severus frustrated with the lack of results and the distress it caused him.

One December evening, Hermione left Severus in his study as she went to the library. As she crossed the threshold to the restricted section, she pulled any and every book she could think of related to potions and Nagini, including maledicti, snakes, basiliks, parseltongue, potions, potions ingredients, bezoars, and dittany. As she closed all of the books and let out a groan of frustration, Hermione closed her eyes. How was it possible that there was nothing she could find? There had to be a cure! It was nearly impossible for Severus to have even survived Nagini's attack, therefore she knew she was missing something. She felt as if she did not have a purpose, and was only making matters worse. Hermione was most certainly not helping matters, except for Severus' sexual needs. But still, she found herself at an impasse, unsure of how to proceed.

The witch began her descent back to her chambers, walking down a long corridor. It was well past dark and a low howl made its way from the bowels of the castle. Hermione stopped suddenly, a sour feeling that fell to rest in her stomach. Something had stopped her, but she did not know what... Turning, the wall that had been to her right had transformed, revealing a large door. The Room of Requirement had shown itself to her, and Hermione felt a smile wash over her face. Perhaps she would find her answer there.

When she opened the doors, Hermione walked in to find the room empty. A single wide pillar held a large melting candle which gave a small area of light beneath it. There, in the center of the room, was a rectangular object covered in a dusty taupe sheet. Hermione approached cautiously, withdrawing her wand from a pocket in her skirt. She reached forward and tugged on the edge of the fabric and letting it fall to the floor. The Mirror of Erised presented itself to the witch with its shining frame and antiqued splotches scattered about.

As Hermione stood before the mirror, she exhaled, her arms hanging down by her waist. She closed her eyes for a brief moment and then opened them to see the mirror reveal what she desired the most. Hermione stood, in an elegant knee-length dress. Her hair was pinned back to reveal wide-boxed shoulders on the dress. A pin was affixed to her chest, shining brightly. Hermione studied herself for a moment and then realized she was the Minister of Magic! How had the mirror known this was her greatest ambition? The mirror then began to swirl and another image appeared before her. Severus stood beside her, a short smile on his face. Hermione was looking up at him, her arm tucked around his waist. In her other arm was a bundle, presumably a baby. And at their feet, a little boy who stood proudly in a sweater and trousers.

Tears sprung in her eyes as she looked at what Hermione knew she would never have. Severus did not truly want to be married to her--he valued his independence too much. As well, they would never be a family like that, with their smiling and happiness. A familiar soreness arose in her chest, Hermione fighting back a sob. She covered up the mirror with a flick of her wand, sitting on the cold stone floor with her legs crossed beneath her. Regardless of what her heart desired, Hermione knew that if she did not find the missing link to the cure, she would not have any part of Severus.

When she entered the bedroom, Hermione began to undress and change into a pair of cotton sleep shorts and a long-sleeved henley shirt. Severus was in bed, reading with a candle glowing warmly beside him on the nightstand. He was shirtless, the coarse tufts of his silvery chest hair exposed above the quilt. The witch climbed into bed, pulling the covers over her, facing the wizard as she laid on her side.