Chapter 7

Severus Snape tapped his foot impatiently in the Room of Requirement at Hogwarts. Headmistress McGonagall stood to his right, colored by the large stained glass behind them on the wall. The room had turned itself into a simple hall: dark wood floors, the ceiling above them held by massive wooden X beams, white curtains hanging all along the wall. Pale blue candles floated above them, warm light radiating through the room.

He had to admit--it was a nice setting for what it was. He had never pictured himself getting married, let alone to the Granger girl. Severus wanted to keep an open mind, but found himself growing anxious and then angry at the thought of being her babysitter. He looked over his shoulder, Harry Potter twiddling his thumbs, looking up in the air at the candles. Severus rolled his eyes, knowing full and well that Potter was just dragged along because of Ginny.

The doors opened, Ginny walking down the short path to where Severus and Harry were standing. She wore a knee-length navy wrap dress, waddling slightly from the weight of her pregnant belly. Severus smiled tightly at the witch, watching her take her place across from him. He turned his attention back to the doors, Hermione entering, Severus waiting with bated breath.

Hermione made her way towards her friends, the nude pumps on her feet clicking against the wood. She wore them out of spite, knowing they would annoy her future husband. But Severus found himself looking longingly at her slim legs and strong calves. Her hair was pinned back, brown ringlets fall down around her face. He inhaled sharply, squeezing his hands. He noticed the way the dress swayed as she continued towards him. Her cheeks were rosy, either from blush or natural tone, and her eyelashes were long and black... Mascara? He realized she had put on makeup.

Then, before they knew it, Hermione was sliding a ring on Severus' finger, and he did the same. McGonagall closed the heavy book in her hands, announcing them to be married. Ginny and Harry both clapped awkwardly echoing uncomfortably loud in the small room. As the new couple, Severus took ahold of Hermione's hand, making their way towards the tall double doors of the Room of Requirement. She felt her palm grow sweaty in the grip of Severus' hand. He let go of it as soon as they exited the room, stepping away as Hermione waited for the Potters.

"Thanks for coming." Hermione smiled grimly, pulling Ginny and then Harry into a hug.

"You look beautiful. Congratulations, Mrs. Snape." Ginny grinned cheekily.

"Ugh... To soon." Harry joked, pulling his wife to him at the waist. "Do you need any help moving your things?" he asked.

"No. I had Dobby move them over this morning." Hermione said, eyes heavy with defeat. "I'll write you soon." Hermione hugged them once more, watching as they walked away with Professor McGonagall. She sighed heavily, making her way to join Snape.

He glanced at her once more, noticing the way her hazel eyes glowed in the evening sun streaming through the windows.

"Um... Shall we?" She questioned, watching as he refocused his gaze on her eyes. Snape proceeded to turn on his heel and move down the hallway at an alarmingly fast speed. Hermione could hardly keep up in her heels, and at one point, put her hand against the stone wall to remove them. Snape was far down the corridor in front of her, so she sped up the pace and nearly broke into a run. On her bloody wedding day!

They traveled through the castle, turning left down a corridor Hermione had never traveled. It was growing darker, eventually turning pitch black. Snape's shoes echoed in the stone hall, Hermione a few feet behind him. She could see only his form and nothing more. Every few paces, a candle glowed on the wall. Snape withdrew his wand, illuminating the tip. He stopped abruptly and gestured to the floor. Hermione turned her attention to it, studying the mark closely.