Chapter 12

The next few days passed swiftly, each night, Hermione and Viktor meeting after dinner to catch up. Friday arrived soon enough, Hermione bubbling with excitement. The second levels had a free period in the afternoon, in which the dueling lesson would take place. After finishing lunch, Hermione waited to meet Viktor outside of the Great Hall, as Severus prepared the dueling platform.

The handsome Bulgarian rounded the corner from the courtyard, smiling as he caught sight of Hermione. She wore a pair of tight pants, knee-high boots, a shirt and vest. The witch knew it was wise to wear something she could move in.

"Is there some place we could talk?" Viktor asked in a hushed voice, a small gathering of female students behind him. Hermione nodded and gave a scowl towards the girls. Viktor took her by the elbow and led her to a small alcove outside of the Great Hall. "I've never felt like this before." He uttered breathlessly.

Hermione's face fell, and she folded her eyebrows in confusion.

"I love you, Hermione."

"What?" She questioned, bewildered. "We've just met again after years apart. You can't possibly say such a thing." Her heart fluttered in her chest, cheeks red.

"I know it because I've never stopped feeling it."

"Viktor, stop! You know I'm married."

"That doesn't mean you can't change things... You could live your life the way you please, not according to some stupid law. Be happy, take control of your life! He controls you, Hermione." He whispered in her ear, tucking a strand of hair behind it with attention. Hermione shuddered. She shook her head, turning to walk away, but Viktor caught her arm just above the elbow. He spun her around, the witch landing at his chest. Wrapping his arms around her small frame, she fought, reaching for her wand. Wiggling her arm out, she flipped her wand to jab it beneath his chin.

"Do not touch me again. Do you understand?" Hermione questioned shortly, her eyes narrowed up at Viktor.

"I understand you well, Mrs. Snape."

Releasing her, Viktor straightened his emerald jacket, buttoned high at the neck. Tugging on the sleeves, he stood erect, smiling at the witch as though nothing had happened between them.

"We should begin our dueling lessons now," Severus announced, his low voice booming through the doorway of the Great Hall. Hermione's eyes widened and she walked quickly into the room, Viktor following behind her. As she concealed her wand, shoving it down in the pocket of her pants, Severus caught a glimpse of the witch and raised an eyebrow at her. "Ah. Good. Mrs. Snape has arrive to demonstrate her dueling skills."

"Perhaps Professor Krum and I could duel first?" She smiled smugly, first at Severus, then across the room towards Viktor. Hermione reached behind her head to gather her hair into a ponytail. She watched Viktor, as he licked his lower lip, withdrawing his wand from the pocket of his black pants. His knee-high boots stomped heavily on the stone, a group of students clearing a path for him. Viktor made his way up onto the long, narrow dueling platform, standing broadly.

The witch withdrew her wand from the pocket of her slim-fitting khaki pants, stepping up onto the opposite end of the platform. As she spread her legs to stand shoulder-width apart, she began to unbutton and roll the sleeves of her white shirt up to her elbows. The second-year students looked up at the witch and wizard, staring at each other with intensity.

Hermione began to make her way to the center of the platform, her brown leather boots creaking with every step. She flipped a few lost ringlets out her face, wand at her side. Viktor approached, staring at the witch. They met in the center, eyes locked. Hermione heard whispering and looked down to her right, a group of female students giggling and pointing up towards Viktor. She looked over her shoulder, Severus in the corner of the Great Hall, arms crossed. He glared at her, a hint of concern resting in his face.