Chapter 34 - The Fall of an Earldom (2)

Start from the beginning

"F-Father, I-" The Earl grabbed a small figurine that was on his table and threw it across the room.

Smash!

The fragile figurine hit the wall and it broke into a million pieces. Arda consciously blocked her face with her hands as some of the fragments from the broken figurine went in her direction.

"WHAT DID I HEAR ABOUT YOUR HEAD MAID BURNING THE YOUNG MASTER?" Earl Cornell asked furiously. Arda's body froze after hearing her father's statement.

'How? How did father know?' She once more felt fear creep up her spine.

"I have already exiled the maid from our territory, father!" Arda spoke as tears went down her cheeks.

"So that head maid of yours really did. Did you know the price we have to pay for burning the young master?" The Earl said. His voice was now a tone lower than the screaming he did earlier.

"P-Pardon? Price?" Arda's eyes widened.

What did his father mean with the price?

"Yes, Arda, we have to pay the young master two million gold coins because your maid has burned him!" Anger once more started to arise in the Earl's body.

Arda lost the strength in her legs and she dropped to the floor of the office. The sharp fragments of the broken figurine dug into her knees and legs.

"T-Two million gold coins?" It was such a huge amount that their household would need to work extra-harder in the textile industry for an entire year before they could gather the loss it would make if two million gold coins went out of their grasp.

"I'll send you to the young master tomorrow. Apologize to him in the stead of your maid for burning him." The Earl said with finality. Arda's entire body shook with the words.

"F-Father, I don't want-"

"Go and apologize or get out of the territory like your maid did"

Arda cried as she weighed the options. It was clear as daylight that she needed to go and apologize to Pier in hopes that the two million gold coins payment would be alleviated.

"I-I understand, father."

---

"I wonder where that fat bird went?" Pier said as he munched on a cookie. He was lazing around in his room after all the things that happened yesterday.

Pier felt great after talking with the Earl yesterday. He's also expecting to receive two million gold this day. He recalled the conversation he had with his father after he had gone home.

"I heard you made Earl Cornell kneel and beg in front of you," Ronnovian said as he stared at his black-haired son. Pier nonchalantly nodded his head.

"I did. He was disrespecting me and he had been leeching off our household for quite some time now. Don't you think so, father?" Pier smiled innocently at his father. Ronnovian's eyebrows raised after hearing Pier's statement.

"Indeed. It is the time for us to remove the leeches from our household." Pier tiredly yawned and rubbed his eyes.

"Can I return to my room now, father? It was tiring to talk with a lot of people." Ronnovian simply nodded his head and Pier started to walk out the door. But before Pier could open it, Ronnovian asked him a question.

"Do you not like the prince anymore?"

Pier chuckled. It was already so exhausting for him to hear the question over and over.

"I no longer wish to be with him, father. He can live his life all he wants to and I'll live my own. I hate chasing people." Pier said before opening the door.