Two

As I got off the elevator, I breathed in the faint scent of marijuana from last night that still lingered in the hall. Walking down the long corridor was surreal. I was currently walking to Studio 4 to record my first song in a professional setting. I was pretty fucking excited.

We got back to the hotel pretty late last night, so I let LP sleep in. I, on the other hand, was way too excited to even sleep. As soon as the sun came up, I was leaving the hotel and headed straight for Bad Boy. With my guitar case in hand, I twisted the door knob to Studio 4 and walked in. The room had the same layout as the studio from the night before, except the room was a bit smaller.

Last night, Slim and Kells had shown LP and I how to record a track, the simple way. I was 80% sure I'd do it correctly.

I dropped my belongings on the small couch opposite the recording equipment. I walked over to the sound board, turning on the machinery, and stared blankly at it. What was the next step? I found the necessary buttons to turn on the microphones and headphones in the sound booth. Afterward, I grabbed my guitar case, opening it, and began to tune my guitar.

I knew what song I wanted to record. I had actually written it this morning at 4:45AM. I told ya'll I didn't sleep.

I began to hum as my fingers strummed the guitar strings. There was a light knock on the door. I stopped, startled, and looked over to the door; the same blue eyes from last night silently greeted me.

"Oh hey," he said, smiling. "I didn't mean to interrupt." He took a step into the room, his hand still resting on the doorknob. "You left the door open. I could hear your guitar from down the hall. It sounds great."

"I didn't realize I didn't close the door all the way," I smiled apologetically. "Sorry."

"Na, don't worry about it," he said. He glanced around the room. "You're by yourself?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I left Lauren sleeping back at the hotel. She isn't used to your kind of lifestyle yet, I guess." I was referring to last night. Slim and Kells definitely out smoked us within a few hours. We held our own for a while though.

"What about you?" He asked, leaning back against the door. He folded his arms across his chest. I hadn't realized what he was wearing until now; a black shirt that had big white letters that read, EST. He wore regular denim jeans with rips across his knees and a pair of dirty Chucks.

"What about me?"

"Can you handle it?"

I shrugged. "Pretty sure I can." I stood up from the couch with my guitar in hand. I rummaged through my cross-body bag until I found my notebook. I glanced back at him. "You wanna stick around?" I laughed glancing at the soundboard. "I'm not really sure how to work any of this shit still."

He laughed. "Yeah, sure. I'll help ya out. It's the least I can do for a fellow label mate."

I walked into the recording booth, closing the door behind me. I dragged the stool that was in the far left corner of the room in front of one of the microphones. As I sat down, I adjusted my mic bringing it closer to my mouth and then adjusted the other so it was closer to my guitar. I slipped on the headphones and almost immediately heard Kells' voice.

"You ready?"

I grinned. "How ironic."

He gave me a confused look through the glass. "What is?"

"I'm Ready - that's what the song is called."

He grinned, nodding slowly. "Alright, recording... Now." I watched as he pressed a few buttons on the sound board. I began to strum on my guitar, hitting ever necessary note perfectly.