15: mirabelle

I pull up outside my uncle's house feeling nerves threaten to take over my insides. My parents are staying here since our family house is still considered a crime scene. We haven't heard anything yet about the investigation, but it's always a faint thought in the back of my mind.

I shake my head, pushing it out of my head because while the fire and arson sucks, I need to talk to my brothers about Bailey and to do it, I have to walk past our parents.

This is not going to be fun but I also know Bailey is more important than the fight going on between my parents and I.

I knock on the door and then use my code on the door handle to open it. Stepping in hesitantly, I push back every thought telling me that it'd be easier to walk out before anyone sees me. That's actually a lie. I'm sure Uncle Owen got a notification when I entered the neighborhood.

My Aunt Blake and Uncle Owen are sitting on one couch, Henry's parents are sitting on another and my parents are occupying the loveseat in the living room and my mom's jaw drops in shock. "Mira?"

I smile faintly, "Do you know where Hunter is?"

Uncle Owen motions towards the backyard, "He's out there running passes with JJ."

"Wait Mirabelle-" Mom stands up off the couch and Dad looks...well I'm not sure how he looks. I'm afraid to look at Uncle Chris and Aunt Penelope.

"I'm just here to talk to Hunter." I say softly and her face falls, but she sits back down slowly, automatically reaching for Dad's hand. I tear my eyes away from them to head towards the backdoor without saying another word.

Once I step into the backyard, I let out a long exhale of relief. That wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It certainly wasn't great, but I didn't cry so I'm already off to a better start than I thought.

JJ is running down the large yard but Hunter spots me before he releases it and looks confused. JJ is still running and I try to smother a laugh because he has no idea yet that Hunter isn't throwing the ball. It takes him a couple more seconds before JJ comes to a stop and then he spots me.

"Where's Bailey?" I ask carefully and Hunter shuffles his feet, clearly knowing what's up with him. JJ's jogging over to where we are.

"He's hanging out with some of his friends from here. Why?" JJ asks, panting slightly. He and Hunter must have been out here for a while.

I twist my hands in front of me, "There's something going on with him."

Hunter ducks his head to avoid my gaze which JJ doesn't notice. He shrugs, "I mean he's been a little off lately. He'll be fine though."

"What do you think?" I ask, staring at Hunter who is suddenly finding the ground interesting. JJ turns to face him as well.

He shakes his head, "He's my twin. I'm not going to rat him out."

Oh yes, you fucking are.

"Is it soccer?" I guess and Hunter still won't meet my eyes.

He wipes his face with his shirt and I can see the tension in his body. Clearly he isn't happy about what is going on either, but I don't know why he's keeping quiet.

"He quit soccer," Hunter finally admits and my stomach drops. The surprise on JJ's face is obvious and he gapes at Hunter.

"What do you mean he quit soccer?"

I suck in a sharp breath, realizing that I really haven't been there for Bailey. There has to be a reason he quit. Bailey loves soccer. It's a part of him like football is part of Hunter and JJ. Like gymnastics was for me.