10. The Expedition and Bean Protection Mission

The evening breeze blew pass the trio as they stared up the starry sky.

When their argument had been solved, the peaceful night continued but something had been bothering Levi for quite a while now. His mind flashed to the earlier when he learned the truth about Y/n's family background.

The way she was treated and what they were planning to do about her once they got what they wanted from Erwin.

It looked like Erwin was Y/n's only powerful backer why she managed to stay in the military. So if Erwin died, it means that the woman would actually be easily stripped off her rank and be brought back to her family. That's how easy money can manipulate rules.

"Aniki, is something bothering you?" Isabel asked as soon as he noticed his distant gaze.

Levi blinked and sighed. "We won't be continuing the plan." He said.

The two seemed shocked by what he said. "But our citizenship can be guaranteed if we succeed here." Farlan said.

He clenched his fist. "Y/n is part of a noble family." He suddenly said.

They were confused for a while but since Isabel knew of that, she nodded. "Miss Hange told me that she's a runaway. But why did you suddenly bring that up?" She asked.

"That old man who hired us. Its seems that he is her grandfather." He explained.

Wide eyed, his friends looked at him. "Is that true?"

Levi could only nod.

"If so, then, why is she against us working under her grandfather?" The female asked.

"Well, you said that she run away. There must be a reason for that." Farlan said thoughtfully and now both looked at Levi for answers.

"That brat is going to be taken back home and sold off once we succeed on taking that file. If you think about it, I don't think that a family who can abuse their children physically can actually be so generous as to pay us for this work." He explained. "So we're not proceeding."

The two looked at each other before looking at Levi. He doesn't usually get swayed by this kind of things.

In the underground, if a parent beat their children to a pulp, no one will bother helping. Or when one child will be sold off for slavery, some would feel bad but that won't be enough for anyone to step in. So why would he hesitate now...

Although, they did quite have an attachment to Y/n as they have been acquainted for weeks. She's been taking care of them and putting her in that kind of situation is actually such an ungrateful action.

"But why would you suddenly feel bad for her? I thought you guys argued earlier?" Farlan asked.

Levi couldn't straight up answer that. He couldn't admit that the plan to confront her if she was a spy the previous night turned had failed and then turned into an intimate body confrontation that earned him multiple bites and scratches in his body.

He shook his head mentally, trying to sway off that moment.

"I just don't trust that old man." He said instead.