Fortieth Door

She had a worried expression on her face as she saw a woman in a lab coat approaching her with a syringe filled with blue liquid. Miranda was nowhere to be seen at the time, and she was at a loss as to what she should do. She made another step backwards, only to collide with a wall, rendering her immobile.

"W-what are you doing?" She took a deep breath and swallowed hard.

"This will only hurt for the time being, Evie," she said loudly, as her wicked laughter rang around the room.

"Get away from me!" She screamed, attempting to flee.

The woman grabbed her arm before she could even run, and she winced in pain as the needle pierced her skin. The syringe was empty when she glanced at it; the liquid was within her body.

The woman laughed maliciously, "Good luck growing up, you'll need it."

Clementine opened her eyes and let out a gasp. She shifted her gaze to her side, where Alcina was still soundly asleep. She sat up in bed and stroked the sweat-soaked back of her neck. She shook her head and gradually lifted herself from the bed, removing the blankets off her body. She strolled to the door and discreetly exited the room, passing via the kitchen on her way to grab water.

She rushed straight to the fridge to get a pitcher of water and began sipping it as soon as she entered the kitchen. Her stomach clenched as the dream flashed through her mind again, so she set the glass on the counter and walked to the sink to vomit. As she vomited, a blue liquid gushed out of her mouth, and it took her a minute to finish. She massaged her eyes as she peered at the liquid in the sink; it was no longer blue, but rather translucent, like water.

"What?" She rubbed the bridge of her nose, perplexed.

Was she hallucinating as a result of her dream? She sighed and shook her head before replacing the pitcher on the fridge and walking out of the kitchen. She walked towards the newly built library, where she looked for a book to read. It had been a few days since she had the bruise and it was still on her skin. Because she couldn't sleep any longer, she decided to read a book that might help her fall asleep. She sat down on the couch and began to be entertained by the words of the book she was reading.

When the door unexpectedly opened she looked up to find Alcina yawning and going towards her direction.

As she sat next her, Alcina murmured, "I assumed I'd find you in here, the light was open. What are you doing here at this hour?"

"I had a dreadful dream and I can't sleep," she explained, her gaze returning to the book.

"You should have woken me up so I could console you."

"It's fine, and you were soundly asleep, so I didn't want to wake you up."

"Mmhm," Alcina hummed, as she rested her nose on her neck. "Wait, what book are you reading?"

"Romance? This was chosen at random," she shrugged.

Alcina took a look at the book cover and she laughed. "That is romance all right but a little spoiler it has tragedy in it."

She lifted an eyebrow. "Tragedy? You've read this before? Mind telling me about it?"

"Ah, you want to hear the story from me instead?"

"Yes, please."

Alcina rested her chin on her shoulder as she put her hands into her waist.

"The story is about two lovers who met at a train station during a storm," she rolled her eyes. "You know the typical story where they first became friends and then fell in love, blah, blah. Let's head to tragedy, they were about to marry when the guy learned that his intended bride was ill. To cut a long story short, she died at the end, and the guy was so depressed that he jumped on the train station where they met."